X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.9 upgrade

Greetings,

I know there are backports for KDE 4.9 but I was wondering if it was worthwhile and recommended. Will that KDE upgrade be part of any future 12.04 updates?

Michel

AFAIK not, those updates will only come with the backports. However it shouldn't take long for Kubuntu 12.10 to arrive which includes KDE 4.9 (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Comment

I have upgraded to 4.9 as well as have used every provided dot release since on 12.04 (currently 4.9.2) and can tell you I am extremely pleased with it. I have had no issues thus far and 4.9 appears to be more stable as well as far snappier than 4.8. You will not be disappointed if you decide to upgrade. Note, I would recommend applying the updates over a wired connection (some people had issues upgrading over wireless).

Also, Euroman is correct (from everything I have heard), 4.9 will only come via backports for 12.04.
      Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
      tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Thank you for your reply. Can you tell me how to activate the backport repos and what files should be installed? and how?

Michel

Comment

Enter the following in the konsole:
          Code:
          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
          Then:
          - Open Muon Package Manager
          - Click "Check for Updates"
          - Click "Full Upgrade" (review changes, just in case)
          - Click "Apply Changes"
          - Enter password
          - Wait
          Once finished, reboot and you should have the newest KDE.
          Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
          tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Originally posted by Euroman View Post
            However it shouldn't take long for Kubuntu 12.10 to arrive which includes KDE 4.9 (please correct me if I'm wrong).
            Quantal currently shows KDE 4.9.2 in the standard repository.

Comment

Great! How do I remove the backport source after the kde install. I don't want to screw up my Kubuntu installation like I messed up the Mepis one :-)

Michel

Comment

Have you enabled and installed from backports in your current Precise installation?

Comment

No I'm still using KDE 4.8

Michel

Comment

Then I would suggest you wait until 12.10 is officially released in a few days, then peform a standard release upgrade. That will avoid the hassle of adding and then deactivating the backports repository.

Comment

Sounds good. Would the upgrade maintain my present setup / home directory and programs?

Michel

Comment

Yes. Many people here at KFN have upgraded from release to release several times now.

Comment

It maybe a daft question but, what will come after 4.9? Will it be 5.0 or will KDE follow XFCE and release 4.10?

Comment

...what will come after 4.9?...
                            http://planetkde.org/
                            -> http://tsdgeos.blogspot.fi/2012/10/4...n-13-days.html
                            Friday, October 12, 2012
                            4.10 Soft Feature Freeze in 13 days!
                            Remember the 4.10 Soft Feature Freeze is in 13 days...
                            4.10 Release Schedule: http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KD...lease_Schedule
                            4.10 Feature Plan: http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KD...0_Feature_Plan
                            Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
                            - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              Then I would suggest you wait until 12.10 is officially released in a few days, then peform a standard release upgrade. That will avoid the hassle of adding and then deactivating the backports repository.
                              Just for my information how do you go about adding and removing the backports. It was pretty much straight forward in Synaptic, you added the repos and they checked or unchecked them.

Michel

Comment

Working...
                              X