X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shockwave Flash

Hi,
    since the last update of Firefox I have problems with the flash player. It often crashes.
    I have installed the 64-bit version of Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202 with Firefox 16 Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonocal - 1.0. I am using Kubuntu 12.04 (precise) with Linux Kernel 3.2.0-31-generic (#50-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 7 16:16:45 UTC 2012), GCC version 4.6 (x86_64-linux-gnu) and Xorg version 1.11.3 (29 August 2012 12:12:33AM). What can I do to make it run smoothly again?
    Regards, Sigurd
    Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 20, 2012, 10:01 AM.

Originally posted by SigurdF View Post
    Hi,
    since the last update of Firefox I have problems with the flash player. It often crashes.
    I have installed the 64-bit version of Shockwave Flash 11.2 r202 with Firefox 16 Mozilla Firefox for Ubuntu canonocal - 1.0. I am using Kubuntu 12.04 (precise) with Linux Kernel 3.2.0-31-generic (#50-Ubuntu SMP Fri Sep 7 16:16:45 UTC 2012), GCC version 4.6 (x86_64-linux-gnu) and Xorg version 1.11.3 (29 August 2012 12:12:33AM). What can I do to make it run smoothly again?
    Regards, Sigurd
    I would remove anything you manually installed and install the version from the official repositories. It was just updated to the lates version today and the only changes you will see from this point forward is security update by adobe. Adobe has abandoned the Linux desktop for the most part.

Comment

There is no Shockwave Flash

Flash and Shockwave are different. Shockwave has never been available for linux

SWF stands for 'Small Web Format'
      Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

Unfortunately, there remains a significant conflagration of terms. While in the Windows world the distinction between Flash and Shockwave is fairly distinct, the same cannot be said for the Linux world. The screenshot below is from Firefox in Linux, and I can assure you that the installed plugin is Flash. Nevertheless, it retains the older "Shockwave Flash" nomenclature:

Regarding the SWF acronym, the Wikipedia article summarizes its history pretty well.

Comment

Interesting, thx
          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

The FF update to 16 seems to have fixed the problem.

Comment

Thank you all. But it does not help.
              I have exactly that Shockwave Flash plugin in my Firefox. And it crashes almost every time.
              what can it do ti fix it?

Comment

Hi,
                With the upgrade to Kubuntu 12.10 the problems seems to be solved.
                Regards, Sigurd

Comment

Working...
                X