This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update = less packages??...

Until recently I was a happy Kubuntu user. In the past months when I did an update I noteced that Muon has disapeared (several times). But no problem, easy to install again.
    A few days ago I updated to KDE 4.9.2. (by the backports-ppa).

This is what KDE comments about the 4.9.2 update:

“As the release only contains bugfixes and translation updates, it will be a safe and pleasant update for everyone. KDE’s software is already translated into more than 55 languages, with more to come.”

But now a lot more packages / prog's has disapeared. And I 'm left with a crippled system...

Packages / prog 's gone after updating to 4.9.2:

Muon updater
    Muon package manager
    Muon softwarecenter
    Dolphin
    Rekonq
    Gwenview

After re-installing muon, (thankyou Synaptic) the authenticating dialog is not started. So muon is a dead-end street. It ends with the conclusion that authenticating failed...
    After re-installing Gwenview when trying to view a jpg all I get is a black screen...
    I
    Anyone 's got an idea what 's going on here.
    Something wrong on my side? Something wrong with the backports-ppa? KDE QA dept collective on holliday?...

Beginning to feel a little uncomfortable working with a system this way.

Try installing the kubuntu-desktop package

Comment

Installed the kubuntu-desktop package again. (thanks for the tip james147). Wich was gone on my system. All the disapeared prog's were back. System works fine again. But the question I had is still un-answered. How can this happen by only updating?.. I want to make clear that I 've not been messin' around with deleting or uninstalling packages.
      Still a, in my opinion, core-package of the Kubuntu DE gets deleted...

While thinking about this I remembered reading a thread here on the forum about 1,5 year ago. Someone was doing an update by the terminal. During the proces the changes to be made were proposed. He saw that one of one of the items was: 'deleteting of the kubuntu-desktop package'. At that moment he cancelled the operation.

Few days ago I read a thread here on the forum from someone who updated to KDE 4.9.2 (backports-ppa) and afterwards Muon was gone...

So imho there must be something buggy somewhere already for some time...
      For the time being I disactivated the backports-ppa. (and see so if updating get more stable)

At least this woke me up a little. Made it clear to have always have a recent image at forehand...

Comment

I am bettings it is dpkg's or apt-get's conflict handeling code removing kubuntu-desktop as one thing conflicts with it, which causes loads of what it pulls in to break... but I for one would not want to touch eithers source with a 10ft pole...
        Though I must admit that I hate using apt-get ever since I was introduced to archlinux's pacman.

Comment

I too had Muon disappear (get un-installed) when I upgraded my 12.04 installation to 4.9.0 originally, but that was the only app affected. And like you side, simple to fix (although I installed it via the konsole with apt-get install). This phenomenon has not reoccurred in the next two updates to KDE I applied, thus I assumed it was a change from 4.8 to 4.9 (it is common for the KDE developers use newer/renamed packages on major revisions that might have caused a dependency issue that un-installed Muon). Thus, it is always wise to review the changes your system wants to apply when upgrading something as big as KDE.
          Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
          tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Working...
          X