This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't install LibreOffice

I messed things up by trying to install Libreoffice before removing OpenOfice 3. Now I have dependency issues. Below is the error message I get from Synaptiks when I try to remove OpenOffice:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libreoffice-common_1%3a3.6.0~rc4-0ubuntu3~ppa1~precise1_all.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice', which is also in package openoffice.org-debian-menus 3.3-9556

I also tried:
    cliff@cliff-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
    [sudo] password for cliff:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Correcting dependencies... Done
    The following extra packages will be installed:
    libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-calc libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw
    libreoffice-gnome libreoffice-gtk libreoffice-impress libreoffice-math libreoffice-style-tango
    libreoffice-writer python-uno
    Suggested packages:
    libreoffice-base libreoffice-style-hicontrast libreoffice-style-crystal libreoffice-style-oxygen
    libreoffice-evolution tango-icon-theme libreoffice-gcj libreoffice-filter-binfilter
    libreoffice-java-common
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    libreoffice-common
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-calc libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-gnome
    libreoffice-gtk libreoffice-impress libreoffice-math libreoffice-style-tango libreoffice-writer
    python-uno
    11 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
    14 not fully installed or removed.
    Need to get 0 B/83.2 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 91.8 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? y
    (Reading database ... 393908 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking libreoffice-common (from .../libreoffice-common_1%3a3.6.0~rc4-0ubuntu3~ppa1~precise1_all.deb) ...
    dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libreoffice-common_1%3a3.6.0~rc4-0ubuntu3~ppa1~precise1_all.deb (--unpack):
    trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/soffice', which is also in package openoffice.org-debian-menus 3.3-9556
    rmdir: failed to remove `/var/lib/libreoffice/share/prereg/': No such file or directory
    rmdir: failed to remove `/var/lib/libreoffice/share/': Directory not empty
    rmdir: failed to remove `/var/lib/libreoffice/program/': No such file or directory
    rmdir: failed to remove `/var/lib/libreoffice': Directory not empty
    rmdir: failed to remove `/var/lib/libreoffice': Directory not empty
    Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
    Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
    Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
    Processing triggers for gnome-menus ...
    Processing triggers for shared-mime-info ...
    Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
    Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
    Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
    Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
    Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
    Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
    Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
    Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
    Processing triggers for gnome-icon-theme ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /var/cache/apt/archives/libreoffice-common_1%3a3.6.0~rc4-0ubuntu3~ppa1~precise1_all.deb
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    cliff@cliff-HP-Pavilion-dv7-Notebook-PC:~$

Any Ideas on how to get past this?
    Last edited by abear; Sep 30, 2012, 07:29 PM.

First off, remove (purge) all instances of OpenOffice from system. Remove PPA of LibreOffice from sources list (unless your wanting the latest version) Then install LibreOffice from main repository.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
      First off, remove (purge) all instances of OpenOffice from system. Remove PPA of LibreOffice from sources list (unless your wanting the latest version) Then install LibreOffice from main repository.
      Okay, I turned off all the repos and removed openoffice, now when I try to install libreoffice I get the following error:

the following packages have unmet dependencies:

libreoffice-core: Depends: libreoffice-common (> 1:3.5.4) but it is not installed
      Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1) but 1:4.6.3-1ubuntu5 is installed
      libreoffice-java-common: Depends: libreoffice-common but it is not installed

Thank you for your help removing openoffice, any ideas as to what I can do to get libreoffice installed?
      Last edited by abear; Oct 01, 2012, 12:34 PM.

Comment

This...
        Originally posted by abear View Post
        Code:
        libreoffice-core: Depends: libreoffice-common (> 1:3.5.4) but it is not installed
                          Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1) but 1:4.6.3-1ubuntu5 is installed
        Is curious. It calls for a version equal to or higher than 1:4.1.1, and indeed you do have a higher version.

What's the output of
        Code:
        aptitude why-not libreoffice-core

Comment

After using nickstonefan's suggestion for removing openoffice I then used the following to force install all the jdk files. I found this looking for broken link information.

dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)

Fix:
          cd /var/cache/apt/archives
          then dpkg -i --force-overwrite (all_package_names_listed_at_the_bottom_of_error_o utput) In my case the error kept pointing to the java applications and libraries.
          now dpkg --configure -a to get the packages left unconfigured.
          You may have to repeat the process a couple of times.

I now have Libreoffice installed and working correctly
          Last edited by abear; Oct 02, 2012, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            This...

Is curious. It calls for a version equal to or higher than 1:4.1.1, and indeed you do have a higher version.

What's the output of
            Code:
            aptitude why-not libreoffice-core
            I know this is after the fact, however this is what I now get when I run the above line:
            Unable to find a reason to remove libreoffice-core.

Kind of makes sense everything is working okay now. However, it is always good to have another analytic tool for checking why things are not going as expected.

Comment

Originally posted by abear View Post
              However, it is always good to have another analytic tool for checking why things are not going as expected.
              Yeah... I wish apt-get had the "why" and "why-not" features of Aptitude.

Comment

Working...
              X