This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commands for Full Firefox Setup.

Everytime I setup someones Laptop I usually install Firefox and I have to do the following.

1. Make sure there is KDE support
    2. Make sure Flash is installed
    3. Install VLC pluggin
    4. Install Icedtea 7 JRE and Pluggin

For the first part there are these commands that people have shared on the forum.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:blue-shell/firefox-kde
    echo -e 'Package: *\nPin: release o=LP-PPA-blue-shell-firefox-kde\nPin-Priority: 1000' | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends firefox firefox-kde-support

But I would like to know how to do the rest via command line so I can keep that in an email and just run the commands to have it all setup quickly in one go. Does anyone know how to do that?

Is there a reference thing I can use to figure out the commands?

Comment

I don't use Firefox, but....

mozilla support - Firefox - Flash Plugin - Keep it up to date and troubleshoot problems
      Install VLC Media Player On Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin
      (which has just down the page)
      Of course, most of the media you watch will probably be found on the Internet, which
      means you’ll want the VLC plugins for Firefox. Fortunately, the VLC Firefox plug is also
      easy to install. Return to the Terminal and type this command:
      For Icedtea 7 JRE, select for installation from the Package Manager, openjdk-7-jre
      Full Java runtime environment - needed for executing Java GUI and Webstart programs. Using Hotspot JIT. The
      packages are built using the IcedTea build support and patches from the IcedTea project.

Canonical does not provide updates for openjdk-7-jre. Some updates may be provided by the Ubuntu community.
      For the plugin, select for installation from the Package Manager, icedtea-7-plugin
      IcedTeaPlugin is a web browser plugin to execute Java applets, supporting LiveConnect/JavaScript. It is targeted
      for xulrunner-1.9 and compatible browsers that support the NPAPI.

Canonical does not provide updates for icedtea-7-plugin. Some updates may be provided by the Ubuntu community.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am confused! I just install kubuntu-restricted-extras from the package manager, then from my menu launcher I type "Firefox" and an icon appears allowing my to install firefox.
        Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Robtygart View Post
          I am confused! I just install kubuntu-restricted-extras from the package manager, then from my menu launcher I type "Firefox" and an icon appears allowing my to install firefox.
          That satisfies a portion of Wrender's requirements:
          Code:
          steve@t520:~$ [B]apt-cache depends kubuntu-restricted-extras[/B]
          kubuntu-restricted-extras
            Depends: kubuntu-restricted-addons
            Recommends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad-multiverse
            Recommends: libavcodec-extra-53
            Recommends: libmp3lame0
            Recommends: unrar
            Recommends: ttf-mscorefonts-installer
            Recommends: lame
            Conflicts: kubuntu-restricted-extras:i386

steve@t520:~$ [B]apt-cache depends kubuntu-restricted-addons[/B]
          kubuntu-restricted-addons
            Recommends: flashplugin-installer
              flashplugin-installer:i386
            Recommends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-ugly
            Recommends: gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad
            Recommends: gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg
            Recommends: gstreamer0.10-fluendo-mp3
              gstreamer0.10-fluendo-plugins-mp3-partner
            Recommends: libk3b6-extracodecs
            Recommends: libdvdread4
            Conflicts: kubuntu-restricted-addons:i386
          -extras depends on -addons, which in turn recommends the Flash package.

The Firefox installer that's included with Kubuntu doesn't install the customized version from Blue System's Blue Shell PPA.

Originally posted by wrender View Post
          But I would like to know how to do the rest via command line so I can keep that in an email and just run the commands to have it all setup quickly in one go. Does anyone know how to do that?
          Here ya go:

Code:
          sudo add-apt-repository ppa:blue-shell/firefox-kde
          sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://archive.canonical.com/ $(lsb_release -sc) partner"
          echo -e 'Package: *' | sudo tee /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null
          echo -e 'Pin: release o=LP-PPA-blue-shell-firefox-kde' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null
          echo -e 'Pin-Priority: 1000' | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/preferences.d/blue-shell-firefox > /dev/null
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends firefox firefox-kde-support
          sudo apt-get install adobe-flash-plugin adobe-flash-properties-kde
          sudo apt-get install vlc browser-plugin-vlc
          sudo apt-get install default-jre icedtea-plugin
          I've broken that long echo line into three separate lines to avoid potential confusion. Note that the second and third line call tee with the -a switch, which means to append the output to an existing file. And I'm using the version of the Flash player from the Partner repository, because it includes a System Settings control module that allows you to adjust the player's privacy settings.

Comment

Thank you for all the help! It worked great even with the Kubuntu 12.10

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X