This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update Failed to install!

I just applied todays updates and one of them failed. I dont reemember which one. Is therre a log file some place that tells which one falied? Here is the error message:

subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

Could this be another storage problem with the little ASUS 901 Netbook SSD? Where the device overflows during a write? This seems to be a big issue since several people are using ASUS netbooks to run kubuntu and Ubuntu ect...
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

look at /var/log/apt/term.log.

Your eee pc may not have enough room to be comfortable, even after uninstalling stuff. 4gb is just not enough unless you are using Lubuntu or one of the netbook-specific distros. I haven't tried KDE on my eee pc 701 but running a lighter desktop such as Lxde works well, but space is still at a premium. An sdcard as your /home makes it so much easier in every way if you have enough ram. You can simply copy your home folder (aka /home/<your-username>) to the sdcard while running a livecd, and then if you reinstall, use the 4gb drive as your root (/) folder, and your sdcard as /home -- selecting NOT to format the card when you install. The minimum specfications for installing K(U)buntu is 5gb I believe. I saw a 16gb microsd card - with adapter - for 19 dollars - at Walmart today. I would have grabbed one if I didn't already have an 8 and a 16 already.

Comment

I had the same problem the first time I updated my machine after installing 12.04. I tried rebooting and updating it again and that worked.

Comment

According to the partition manager I have a 3.75 Gib SSD (SDA) and a 15 Gib SSD (SDB) in my Eee 901.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
          According to the partition manager I have a 3.75 Gib SSD (SDA) and a 15 Gib SSD (SDB) in my Eee 901.
          That should be enough space combined, but I will bet that sdb is not being utilized. The installer will use the primary drive for everything (/, /home, etc) unless you specify using the manual partitioning setup option.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            That should be enough space combined, but I will bet that sdb is not being utilized. The installer will use the primary drive for everything (/, /home, etc) unless you specify using the manual partitioning setup option.
            How do I do that?

Comment

During the disk peparation phase of the installation, you should select Manual. Then place / (the root file system) on sda1 and place /home on sdb1.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                During the disk peparation phase of the installation, you should select Manual. Then place / (the root file system) on sda1 and place /home on sdb1.
                This was an upgrade from karmic. When I installed karmic I told the installer/partition manager to make several partitions out of SDA and SDB for \, \var, \temp, \boot and \home. I assumed the mount points would transfer with each upgrade. So why am i running out of disk space when i do some updates as some updates work and others fail? I just updated some more this morning and some updates worked but at least on failed with error 1. Now the computer zips through kdm and login but desktop still takes forever to load. FF is still runing flacky so is plasmoid.

Comment

How big are those partitions, and how much free space is left on each?

Comment

One thing that can/will/does consume space (on the root partition), especially due to distribution upgrades, are the kernels.

Open a konsole and type:
                    Code:
                    dpkg --list | grep linux-image | awk '{print $2}'
                    Copy and paste the output in your reply.
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Code:
                      Mr. Hog, paragon of efficiency that you are, wouldn't you prefer to avoid an unnecessary extra pipe?

Code:
                      dpkg --list | awk '/linux-image/ {print $2}'

Comment

Actually, yes, I would! Thank your Sir SR.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          One thing that can/will/does consume space (on the root partition), especially due to distribution upgrades, are the kernels.

Open a konsole and type:
                          Code:
                          Copy and paste the output in your reply.
                          steve723@steve723-ASUS-Eee-PC-Netbook:~$ dpkg --list | grep linux-image | awk '{print $2}'
                          linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic
                          linux-image-2.6.31-17-generic
                          linux-image-2.6.31-19-generic
                          linux-image-2.6.31-21-generic
                          linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic
                          linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic
                          linux-image-2.6.32-23-generic
                          linux-image-2.6.32-24-generic
                          linux-image-2.6.32-40-generic
                          linux-image-2.6.35-32-generic
                          linux-image-2.6.38-16-generic
                          linux-image-3.0.0-26-generic
                          linux-image-3.2.0-30-generic
                          linux-image-3.2.0-31-generic
                          steve723@steve723-ASUS-Eee-PC-Netbook:~$

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                            How big are those partitions, and how much free space is left on each?
                            steve723@steve723-ASUS-Eee-PC-Netbook:~$ df
                            Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
                            /dev/sdb1 5905972 5218072 387888 94% /
                            udev 497616 4 497612 1% /dev
                            tmpfs 203256 900 202356 1% /run
                            none 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
                            none 508132 92 508040 1% /run/shm
                            /dev/sda5 1874267 718562 1055702 41% /var
                            /dev/sdb5 9606084 6622028 2496084 73% /home
                            /dev/sda1 225806 199622 14137 94% /boot

It would be easier to read if the bash formatting codes were retained in a copy\paste.
                            Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 30, 2012, 08:40 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Comment

Yep, lots of kernels there.

You really only need to keep the current and prior kernel for the current version of Kubuntu you are running, 12.04 in this case.

To regain valuable space in your root partition, remove completely, the following kernels and associated cruft:
                              linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic
                              linux-image-2.6.31-17-generic
                              linux-image-2.6.31-19-generic
                              linux-image-2.6.31-21-generic
                              linux-image-2.6.32-21-generic
                              linux-image-2.6.32-22-generic
                              linux-image-2.6.32-23-generic
                              linux-image-2.6.32-24-generic
                              linux-image-2.6.32-40-generic
                              linux-image-2.6.35-32-generic
                              linux-image-2.6.38-16-generic
                              linux-image-3.0.0-26-generic
                              In a konsole, you type:
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get purge linux-image-x.x.x-xx-generic
                              replacing the x's with the numbers of the kernel shown above. Do this for each one. So, as an example, to remove completely the linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic kernel, you type:
                              Code:
                              sudo apt-get purge linux-image-2.6.31-14-generic
                              After you have removed all in the list above type:
                              Code:
                              sudo update-grub2
                              to update grub.

Comment

Working...
                              X