This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot start KDE, maybe plasma problem

Yesterday, I updated my 12.04 system (dist-upgrade) with the ppa-backport repository enabled.

This morning, when I login, nothing happens. The first time, I got a message saying that the plasma something-or-other (sorry) was not good and I should choose another or it would pick a default. Not knowing anything about that, I accepted the default.

Now I am using my backup system. Anybody have any ideas? I have checked the logs on the disk for the defective system (/var/log), but can find no mention of plasma anywhere. Maybe there is a more useful log somewhere else.

Help, please.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Try creating a new user and see if you can login fine with them.

- If you can then the problem is with your user config files (probably ~/.kde/share/config/plasma*rc).

- If you cannot then it is a problem with your install and you should try the following commands
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install -f
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

Comment

I do not know how to create a new user if I cannot get KDE running. I suppose I could log in as root in line-mode (I suppose that option is available on the login box), but I don't remember the commands to create users.

Found it: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-l...duser-command/

Will give it a try.
      Last edited by joneall; Sep 23, 2012, 10:07 AM.
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Just to check, can you select a different desktop session at the login screen? Not positive but I do remember some users, depending on their system, had a situation where the desktop session file had changed its name, but that previously used (and the default at the time) session name didn't get removed from the drop down list.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Working...
        X