This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Error inserting vesafb

Hello, I have Kubuntu 12.04 installed on my computer. It has been working without any issues for some time. All of a sudden this morning I noticed that when I turned ON the monitor, I did not see anything although the computer was running. So, I decided to simply restart the computer expecting something may have crashed. When I started the computer, it took a long time at the kubuntu 12.04 screen and at the end displayed the following error message:

Code:
    FATAL: Error inserting vesafb (/lib/modules/3.2.0-30-generic/kernel/drivers/video/vesafb.ko): No such device
    The computer would not start from this point and I am left with an (initramfs) prompt. I tried restarting the computer using previous versions of the kernel without any luck. Please help.

I did some quick googling on this. vesafb is the vesa frame buffer. This is pretty low-level stuff, and I am no guru by any stretch of the imagination. Hopefully, someone more skilled than I will jump in here.

However, it appears that the system cannot find the vesafb.ko file, which IIRC, is a kernel module that needs to be loaded. That or it can't find the video card.

Do I understand correctly that the machine does not complete a boot even to a command prompt? It just hangs part way through the boot process?

Again, a wild guess, but if this is a desktop machine, and you have a separate video card, can you try re-seating the card in the motherboard?

Other than that, wait for someone with more experience than I to respond.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Working...
    X