Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, yes, I see two in Muon Software Center searching on backintime. One with a diskette icon, which is the kde version, and the second with a HDD icon, which is the gnome version.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, now I see two, but no difference in icons or anything. It would be nice if in the title they said KDE and GNOME.....

Comment

Click on one and then on the More info button.

Comment

Yeah, I know I can do that. But my opinion of the software center is that it is designed to make it easy for beginners to search for and install software. A lot of beginners (and even non beginners who dont cant read like me) wont know the difference.

Comment

*delete this*
            Last edited by Shimapan; Sep 23, 2012, 04:36 PM.
            Kubuntu Raring Ringtail x64 w/ Kde 4.10.5

Multimedia packages for Kubuntu x64 (x264 10bit, mplayer2, Aegisub etc.)
            http://erokawaii.org/?page_id=5181

My stuff on kde-look.org
            http://kde-look.org/usermanager/sear...ction=contents

Comment

Originally posted by Shimapan View Post
              I really don't see what's the point of this retarded Software Center. It's not easier and just causes stupid problems like this one.
              What's oh-so-difficult about using Synaptic? Just launch it and enter the name in the search bar. It then plainly displays the kde and gnome versions as such, instead of leaving away important info like this crippled Software Center junk.
              Please self-moderate your criticism before you post. The author and maintainer of Muon is a regular here. If you have constructive suggestions for improving Muon, we have a discussion thread for that. Telling people to install Synaptic as a solution to all their package management problems isn't helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                Please self-moderate your criticism before you post. The author and maintainer of Muon is a regular here. If you have constructive suggestions for improving Muon, we have a discussion thread for that. Telling people to install Synaptic as a solution to all their package management problems isn't helpful.
                Thank you Steve.

Shimapan@

The philosophy behind Kubuntuforums is to 'promote' and to 'help others' who are using or considering using Kubuntu Linux. We are reasonably tolerant and take pains to not censor free expression. But one thing that isn't acceptable are direct and/or indirect attacks on our members, even if it is done unknowingly. Please heed SR's advise.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                  Ok, probably was a bit too excessive... I could've put it nicer.
                  I don't see the Software Center being any useful - in the opposite, it's even creating problems instead of making thing easier to use, as it should.
                  It really shouldn't omit important infos, like, if this is now the Kde or the Gnome version, as this will just create problems.

My stuff on kde-look.org

Comment

We have the normal Muon Package Manager already on our systems - the Software Center is the simpler version, similar to Ubuntu's software center. I am guessing that whatever mechanism Ubuntu (or Muon) uses to get the name of the program does not differentiate well between other DE packages for those not in the Main repos - those seem to work as expected, look for 'jockey', or drivers and see that the only entry is the KDE version. That tool is created and maintained by Ubuntu, so I am sure it's packaging is done so that it shows up correctly. Backintime is one of those many programs directly and automatically imported from Debian, and as such may not get the editing it needs to show up correctly.

Definitely worth reporting a bug report on.

'Retarded' is a bit harsh, in my humble opinion.

Comment

Actually, no editing would be needed, if they simply returned the package name. The packages are *always* named accordingly, also here: "backintime-kde" and "backintime-gnome".
                      If they don't want to use the package names for some unfathomable reason, they should, at the very least, do a simple string search on the package name to see if it contains "kde" or "gnome" (or, in few cases, "qt" or "gtk").
                      Not permitting the user to see if they're going to install the Gnome version or the Kde version is not simply a bug, it's broken by design.

My stuff on kde-look.org

Comment

"Jockey-kde" vs "Install Additional Drivers" - which one is more easily discoverable? Which is the point of these differing package managers. We do provide the full-on Muon Package Manager in a default install for those who find the need for it. Although perhaps its presence could be made more discoverable

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                          "Jockey-kde" vs "Install Additional Drivers" - which one is more easily discoverable?
                          That's completely besides the point. No one is going to search for "jockey", much less would anyone browse the *huge* list of all packages just for fun to see "jockey-kde" and wonder what it is.

No, people are going to search for "drivers". What comes up when you enter "drivers" in the search box in Synaptic? One of the very first results is "jockey-kde". The user instantly knows, "Hey, that's for Kde, and thus it could be useful." On the right of the name is the description: "Kde user interface and integration for managing drivers", and clicking on it, he gets a more concise description right below it. Jackpot!

Software center has a clearly worse experience there: You enter "drivers", and up comes "Install additional drivers". In two identical entries, one for Kde and one for Gnome. It doesn't tell you however which is for which environment, so this is more confusing than anything. There's no clear and concise description of it below the list, either - you have to open the description in a separate window. Most users, especially the novice users at which this is targeted, won't do that though. Being confused by having two identical entries, and not being able to tell which is which, they'll just blindly install the first entry - which generally is the Gnome entry, so they end up with the Gnome junk, which drags in several other Gnome junk with it, which can have some nasty and undesirable side effects, as it happened here.

Thus, I stand by my opinion - the Software Center (in Ubuntu as well as in Kubuntu) is completely worthless. I doesn't make anything easier, but in the opposite, it gives users a clearly worse experience, because they end up installing the wrong package, get a worse experience because of it, might get some nasty side effects like her - and all that just because they weren't able to tell the packages apart, as the Software Center decided to not tell them.
                          Overall, the introduction of the Software Center (in Ubuntu as well as in Kubuntu) was a very bad idea.
                          Last edited by Shimapan; Sep 24, 2012, 04:35 PM.

My stuff on kde-look.org

Comment

Comparing Synaptic to Muon Software Center is not valid, for they do different things and target different audiences. Synaptic is much more like Muon Package Manager.

What do you see if you open Muon Package Manager and search for "drivers"? For that matter, what do you see if you open Ubuntu Software Center and do the same?

(I'd check now but can't -- riding a bus.)

Comment

I think that the group of people that this is targeted towards is different from you and me. Have you actually watched someone, a Linux newcomer perhaps, watched them as their eyes glaze over when first opening Synaptic, or Muon? Let alone apt or other tools such as Adept and Kpackagekit/Apper? So many sections, so many selections, so much overload. Software management is completely intimidating for a lot of people. I myself have seen this many times.

I personally do not like the software center, and never use it, except for when I want to look for a game , there the concepts used in it work very well. I should have used that as the example, instead of something that comes by default in *buntu (jockey).

The thing is, in Kubuntu, we have both types of package managers installed by default, unlike Ubuntu.

Muon has a couple of suggestion/input threads, btw, and comment, ideas, problems can be added to them, and are welcomed

Comment

Working...
                              X