This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opus instead of codecs?

Hello, I read today in the online Newsletter of the Linux Magazine an article (in German) which interests me: http://www.linux-magazin.de/NEWS/Opu...c-von-der-IETF. It lead me then to a more detailed page now in English) http://www.xiph.org/press/2012/rfc-6716/. It seems to me that this new application might be very interesting for our audio codecs and there extremely important for the future.

Will this codec be automatically included in the new Kubuntu? Or would I have to install it myself?

If i interpret the Xiph page correct, does that mean there will be no need any longer for other codexes?

Thanks for a bit of information.
    Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
    I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Opus & Ubuntu

It is available for the Quantal:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/opus

http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...ll&section=all

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2031309
    Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
    - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

There's an interesting article about Opus over at Ars Technica too: http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/...chat-to-music/

Of the questions you've asked, the only one that I can address is whether or not there would be any need for other codecs... I'd say yes, as Opus doesn't really address high-bitrate / high quality needs for things such as one's music collection.
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
        Of the questions you've asked, the only one that I can address is whether or not there would be any need for other codecs... I'd say yes, as Opus doesn't really address high-bitrate / high quality needs for things such as one's music collection.

According to your linked article (and the slashdot one) it most certainly does.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
          According to your linked article (and the slashdot one) it most certainly does.
          Depends on one's definition of high quality (for the purposes of one's music collection). I prefer not to use any lossy codec* - I rip my CDs to FLAC format, and transcode to mp3 for my portable music player device. If I ripped my CDs to Opus, I'd have to transcode from one lossy format to another for my mp3 player.

* I realise that I should have made it clear in my initial post that this was my reason. Mea culpa
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

...I rip my CDs to FLAC format, and transcode to mp3 for my portable music player device. I
            Excuse my ignorance but wouldn't it be just the same as encoding to mp3 direct from CD?

Comment

* I realise that I should have made it clear in my initial post that this was my reason. Mea culpa
              Say ten Hail Stallmans.
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Originally posted by nickstonefan View Post
                Excuse my ignorance but wouldn't it be just the same as encoding to mp3 direct from CD?
                Not for my purposes. The idea is to only ever take the CD out of its jewel case once (barring simultaneous data loss from 2 separate drives). When I play music on the PC, I play the FLAC files. When I want any particular tracks on my portable player, I convert those tracks to mp3 at a bit-rate suitable for the device. Over the years, I've had mp3 players that had storage capacities of 256MB, 1GB and currently 4GB, and the quality of the playback hardware (DAC, analog amp stage) has also improved. In the future, I'll almost certainly have even higher capacity devices, with even better quality. Whenever I get a better mp3 player, I've transcoded from the FLAC files to ever higher bit-rate mp3s, without needing to take the CDs out of their cases again.

Originally posted by SecretCode View Post
                Say ten Hail Stallmans.
                Our Stallman,
                who art in the FSF,
                hallowed be thy GNU.
                Thy copyleft come,
                thy compiling be done,
                on earth as it is in GCC.
                Give us this day,
                our daily Emacs,
                and forgive us our shaving off our beards,
                as we forgive those who are not POSIX compliant.
                And lead us not into Cupertino or Redmond,
                but deliver us from Apple and Microsoft.

Amen.

(repeat 9 more times)

Yeah... I don't know how to say a hail Mary, but I do know the Lord's prayer
                Last edited by HalationEffect; Sep 15, 2012, 12:17 PM.
                sigpic
                -- Douglas Adams

Comment

*bow* The Peace of Codd be upon your databases.

Refer here for the definitive Hail Stallman.
                  I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I guess now that we have Stallman-ised versions of both Hail Mary and Our Father, we have more options when it comes to handing out penances
                    sigpic
                    -- Douglas Adams

Comment

The Words of In-Stall-man-titution

Download this, all of you, and untar of it:
                      for this is my archive which will be opened up for you.
                      Check this readme, all of you, and copy-paste from it:
                      for this is the patch of my code,
                      the code of the free and open source
                      which will be compiled for x86 and for ARM
                      for the /dev/nullification of DLLhell.
                      Install this in memory big enough for me.

Comment

Oh my [insert diety]! That is absolutely priceless!! (as in free beer, of course)
                        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Heh, thankyouthankyou. Halation's Stallman's Prayer is quite well done, too. Perhaps we should enspire to scribe a geekible!

Comment

Originally posted by steveriley View Post
                            heh, thankyouthankyou. Halation's stallman's prayer is quite well done, too. Perhaps we should enspire to scribe a geekible!

vinny
                            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                            16GB RAM
                            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              Heh, thankyouthankyou. Halation's Stallman's Prayer is quite well done, too. Perhaps we should enspire to scribe a geekible!
                              Oh no, there would always be a part of me terrified that in some post-apocalyptic future, somebody would get their hands on the geekible, take it seriously, and many atrocities would result
                              sigpic
                              -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Working...
                              X