This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Widget for Desktop folder?

ok, so still new at KDE 4.x+ ... I had a widget on the desktop that displayed as a box, titled Desktop Folder, that showed the contents of my home/Desktop folder. Had a handle on it and all (for moving, resizing, etc.). A widget, I believe. That widget got "X"-ed, removed. I can't seem to find out how to get it back. What's the name of that widget? Think I've done this before but now can't recall the monkey motions to get it back.

(Instead, for now, I enabled Folder View, and have the contents of my home/Desktop folder displayed on the desktop, but not contained in any draggable, handled, widget box.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

I beleve that's the same widget, the "handle" is not displayed when you hover the cursor unless widgets are unlocked !!

VINNY

EDDIT: Humm may have miss read you hear , you enebeld folder view AS the desktop? as in right click the desktop click default desktop settings then layout folder view ?

if so then right click the desktop click add widgets and find and drag the folder view widget to the desktop
    after you change back to default desktop of course.
    Last edited by vinnywright; Sep 08, 2012, 01:25 PM.
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Qqmike, are you wanting back the "Folder View" widget?
      Linux User #454271

Comment

Hi
        go to the now transformed "Cashew" the "Desktop" button at top right/add widgets/

In the displayed panl type "folder" in the search box and it will display one return which is the folder view and also the original folder view which said it was empty.

If you hit the button "display the desktop" it will say in the folder view, "this folder is empty".

If you just "move the mouse" over the folder and let it rest a second the bar to work with it will appear to one side or the other, depending upon where the folder is on the desktop.

Placing the cursor on the folder face and holding it down and then dragging will allow it to be dragged.

HOWEVER.... I just noticed that having "Oxygen - transparent" causes a lag in that, which might be the processor trying to deal with transparency and also the mouse moving.

I did not notice this hesitation with just the plain oxygen theme.

woodsmoke
        Last edited by woodsmoke; Sep 08, 2012, 01:56 PM.

Comment

OK, I think I got it ...

Did what Woodsmoke said and got a "folder view" widget added to the desktop.
          Vinny's comment made me think ... I rt-clicked on the desktop and hit Desktop Settings, then View, Layout, and chose Desktop.
          Also, on the "folder" widget (showing on the desktop), had to click settings on the handle and chose Show the Desktop Folder (instead of, say, Show a Place - like home or something).

So, to show your /home/Desktop folder and contents on the desktop (once and only once, inside a widget box), you need to have View > Layout > Desktop selected, then add the folder view widget (as per Woody's post), then adjust the settings on that widget to show what you want (in this case, only /home/Desktop, not all of home).

Vinny's comment ... made me realize an advantage to locking the widgets. If they are unlocked, and your mouse hovers over that Desktop Folder box on the desktop, and that handle appears, and you hit the "X" button, you killed that whole widget deal and must then re-install it (as I've had to do here). Best to have widgets locked, it seems. (Btw, mine were unlocked; it was the spousal unit who ended up "closing" that widget by hitting the "X" button on it!) Let it be known ... my widgets are locked until further notice from the Computer Administrator (me).
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Many Thanks!!!

Comment

So that's what was confusing to me -- You want the Desktop layout view selected (from Desktop Settings); but then install the Folder View widget into the resuting desktop. That's not at all the same of the Folder View layout setting (in Desktop Settings).

Comment

Qqmike@

You don't actually have to go through all of that. The Folder View widget doesn't have to be 'installed'. You get the same result if you:

Right-click on the Desktop and select View > Layout: Folder View
                Click on Location > Specify a folder: then either browse to Desktop or just type ~/Desktop
                Click Apply and OK
                Done.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

But
                  View > Layout: Folder View
                  will put the specified folders on the desktop without being inisde a widget box.
                  If you try to add a widget (Folder view, as per Woody's comment), then you'll get two copies of those folders--one set laying around the desktop loose, and one set placed inside the Folder View widget (Add widgets > Folder View).

Comment

Hi
                    Dunno, but in the activites "mode" I can have a "folder view" with one item, as in the desktop screeny I'm going to put in show off your desktop, and if I add another folder it "defaults" to the "home" folder, I can then customize it as I want.

I do not lock the folders onto the desktop.

So dunno, this is probably above my pay grade, it may be in a setting someplace.

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                    X