This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

difference compared to 4.8.5

To all that have 4.9.1. Is there any difference compared to 4.8.5? Was there a problem upgrading from one to the other and if so what was it? Thanks.
    Alienware 17 R2
    ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
    Nvidia Graphics
    16 Ram
    Close Windows and open the world!!

Straight to the source:

* KDE 4.9 announcement
    * KDE 4.9.1 announcement

Comment

Thank you Steve but I saw that. I was hoping someone who upgraded or installed had any problems with it. You know, get the real world usage. I usually wait for at least one bug fix before I upgrade but read there were some problems going from 4.8 to 4.9.
      Alienware 17 R2
      ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
      Nvidia Graphics
      16 Ram

Comment

Update: There was another 4.8.5 update today but I already had 4.8.5. Why another update of the same version?
        Alienware 17 R2
        ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
        Nvidia Graphics
        16 Ram

Comment

Originally posted by eddieg538 View Post
          I was hoping someone who upgraded or installed had any problems with it.
          Why do you hope, that other people have problems?

I have 4.9.0 since about one week, without any problems.
          Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
          I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

I usually wait for at least one bug fix before I upgrade
            4.9.1 is mostly 4.9 bugfixes:
            These updates are the first in a series of monthly stabilization updates to the 4.9 series. 4.9.1 updates bring many bugfixes and translation updates on top of the latest edition in the 4.9 series and are recommended updates for everyone running 4.9.0 or earlier versions. As the release only contains bugfixes and translation updates, it will be a safe and pleasant update for everyone... Significant bugfixes include improvements to the Kontact Suite, bugfixes in Dolphin and many more corrections and performance improvements all over the place. The changes are listed on Bugzilla, though this list might not contain all improvements since 4.9.0. For a complete list of changes that went into 4.9.1, you can browse the Subversion and Git logs.

Comment

Well...

I'm using KDE 4.9.00. I haven't seen any updates to 4.9.1. Why would that be? In Other Software, I have:

http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu precise main
              and
              http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/ppa/ubuntu precise main

active.

In Updates:

Important security updates
              Recommended updates
              Unsupported updates
              Check for updates Daily

are checked.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Looks like the packaging folks are working on it now.

https://code.launchpad.net/~kubuntu-packagers

Comment

I was not hoping anyone had problems at all. I was trying to find out if some people updated and perhaps they all had any problems in maybe the same area, like the problems nvidia users have sometimes or kmail. There were 4.9.1 updates on Sept.4 so I will give it a try. Thanks to all that answered.
                  Alienware 17 R2
                  ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
                  Nvidia Graphics
                  16 Ram

Comment

I was not hoping anyone had problems at all. I was trying to find out if some people updated and perhaps they all had any problems in maybe the same area, like the problems nvidia users have sometimes or kmail. There were 4.9.1 updates on Sept.4 so I will give it a try. Thanks to all that answered.
                    I think he was just kidding. Amyway I just upgraded. I had done this before from 4.8.3 to 4.9 and I had a few issues. Sluggishness and some problems with window decorations moving funny and being choppy. I just recovered a system image I had because it wasn't good enough. This time I went from 4.8.5 to 4.9.1 and it's not a problem. There is still a delay when I click on the window decoration to move a window and my qtcurve window decorations do not exist in system settings window decorations.

Comment

Looks like it's the Aurorae window decoration I am using. Oxygen works fine. I guess the problem is qtcurve and Aurorae window decorations are buggy.

Comment

Where exactly are you finding these so called 4.9.1 updates? I haven't seen any come through Muon recently.
                        Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                        tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

4.9.1 updates for Quantal are downloading right now over my interminably slow hotel connection. They've been pushed into the standard Ubuntu "universe" section. For Precise, the latest available KDE is 4.9.0, from the Kubuntu Backports PPA.

Comment

Ah! Thanks for the reply. Just curious though, will Precise users get a chance to try KDE 4.9.1 via the Backports PPA at some point?

EDIT: I found this after posting:
                            http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...1-In-backports

Put me down as another hoping to see this update for Precise. Thanks again for the reply.
                            Last edited by benny_fletch; Sep 11, 2012, 11:06 AM. Reason: found more info
                            Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                            tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Hanging out for 4.9.1 as well.

In answer to the OP, I have found 4.9.0 a good improvement over 4.8.5, with no regressions.

Comment

Working...
                              X