This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Making window backgrounds transparent??

How do I go about making window backgrounds transparent? Ive been playing around with new themes but cant get anything to be transparent...

right click the title bar>more actions>special window settings>appearance and fixes tab>active opacity

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Do you want the whole window to be transparent? That's what vinny's solution provides.

Or only the background areas, with controls/widgets still opaque? For this you need something like oxygen-transparent or QtCurve. See for example [SOLVED] Transparent windows? - but there may be more up-to-date guidance somewhere.
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thanks guys. Ive got it sort of worked out with oxygen-transparent. Just need to play around with it some to get it right.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
          Just need to play around with it some to get it right.
          FYI: Last time I played with Oxygen-Transparent, I had to set some exceptions for video player programs, otherwise the part where the video plays becomes transparent (or entirely invisible)...
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Thanks muchly to folks who contributed to this thread.

One of the things that I, particularly, liked about the compiz cube, when I was teaching online classes, was the I could raise a "student paper" off the cube and set it's transparency so that I could read the answer sheet below it, and then copy and paste the correct answer, or write a reply on another face of the cube in the intranet, or chat, or e-mail, as the class was set up.

I don't teach online anymore but, if I do, this will be very useful..

I wonder how many other folks would use this, and for what?

woodthanksagaintoallsmoke

Comment

Ive got another question regarding oxygen-transparent. I cant figure out how to get everything behind the active window blurry. Right now its just straight transparent and it make it really difficult to read stuff.

Comment

After a long while playing around, I figured it out. If anyone else has this problem and has a Nivida graphics card, try this:
                -Go to System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced
                -Change compositing type to OpenGL
                -On the sam"e page, uncheck "Use OpenGL 2 Shaders"
                -Apply settings and under the General tab, uncheck and re-check "Blur"
                -Apply and enjoy!

Comment

never mind, missed next post

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                    One of the things that I, particularly, liked about the compiz cube, when I was teaching online classes, was the I could raise a "student paper" off the cube and set it's transparency so that I could read the answer sheet below it, and then copy and paste the correct answer, or write a reply on another face of the cube in the intranet, or chat, or e-mail, as the class was set up.
                    On my system - with no compiz in sight - pressing Alt and rotating the mouse wheel changes the transparency of the window the mouse is over.

I'm struggling to find where in System Settings (or elsewhere) this is assigned, though ...

Comment

lol
                      SecretCode
                      Doing what you suggest does not do anything for moi except to move up and down in the window, but....

LOL

pressing ctrl and using the mouse wheel changes the "zoom" of the page lol

i mean how hilarious is some of this stuff? lol

thanks!

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
                      X