Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Confused about Firefox Kubuntu/KDE Instructions...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Confused about Firefox Kubuntu/KDE Instructions...

There is 13 pages worth of dialogue about using Firefox with KDE integration in Kubuntu 12.04.

http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ox-KDE-support

I am confused what is recommended on what to do now.

From what I understand there was a user based ppa that contained the required packages, there was mention of disabling some official source, and now there is some Blue ppa.

With a fresh install what should one do to attain a KDE integrated and non distructive udating firefox with the recent developments?

For adding the Blue-shell PPA, see instructions on it's launchpad page:
    https://launchpad.net/~blue-shell/+archive/firefox-kde
    For holding to that version instead of the official one:
    http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post305140
    sigpic

Comment

I don't fully understand the current situation of things with Firefox and Kubuntu. What is Blue-shell. How does it differ from what you were doing with your PPA and why does one have to "hold" one or the other? Can someone clarify the best solution and about it please?

Comment

For a version or two i had patched Firefox and kmozillahelper in my PPA. In the meantime blue-shell people started doing the same, so i dropped it.
        So, if you want KDE filedialog's and sane mimetype recognition in ff, you can do as i wrote in my previous post. Holding is in case Firefox from Canonical get's updated before that one in the blue-shell PPA, so it doesn't get updated (you only get updates from b-s PPA) und you loose KDE integration.
        sigpic

Comment

And what exactly is the KDE integration? I tried it, but I can not see any difference.
          Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
          I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Ok thanks for the help!

I found this link refering to the development.

http://www.thebluemint.net/2012/08/k...n-firefox.html

ps.So if Blue Systems is maintaining this package will it eventually become part of the Kubuntu default packages?

Comment

Not likely.
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the link. However, I have still not found where there should be anything different to the version I am using.
                Greetings from Scotland's best holiday island – The Isle of Arran
                I keep fighting for an independent Scotland without any nuclear weapons. If the Englanders want them, they can host them. We do not.

Comment

Quoting from the link wrender posted:

Kmozillahelper's job was to make Firefox's various native GTK+ dialogues look and act like native KDE dialogues.

"This is a helper application that allows Mozilla applications to use KDE file dialogs, file associations, protocol handlers and other KDE integration features."

Comment

sigpic

Comment

One of the easiest ways to see the difference between the KDE and GTK ways is to right-click on a picture to save it, only the KDE integrated system will give you a file save dialogue including a preview. (In the right hand panel)

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                        One of the easiest ways to see the difference between the KDE and GTK ways is to right-click on a picture to save it, only the KDE integrated system will give you a file save dialogue including a preview. (In the right hand panel)
                        This is why I'm a bit confused that the screenshots from www.thebluemint.net and the video that Sumski posted don't show the KDE style save & open dialogs. Instead, they showcase the non-KDE dialogs...
                        sigpic
                        "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                        -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
                          ... the video that Sumski posted don't show the KDE style save & open dialogs. Instead, they showcase the non-KDE dialogs...
                          Hmm?
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCt6BzFiDts#t=59s
                          sigpic

Comment

My mistake, I must have got mixed up with some other video. But my point stands about the screenshots at thebluemint.net

Click image for larger version

Name:	KMozillaHelper1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	640089

That definitely isn't a native KDE dialog.
                            sigpic
                            "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
                            -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Don't know how it looks at the blue mint, but yes, on this one, it's gnome's fileficker.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X