This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kde-gtk-config Not applying GTK themes

I have kde-gtk-config installed. I tried both the version in sumski's kde-goodies ppa and qunatel but neither one actually applies gtk themes to the gtk based apps. I have installed gtk2-engines, gtk2-engines-aurora, gtk2-engines, gtk2-engines-oxygen, gtk3-engines-oxygen, gtk3-engines-unico and perhaps another engine or two. I tried troubleshooting this by running "kcmshell4 kde-gtk-config" from the shell. When I preview gtk themes, it outputs nothing on the shell. When I preview gtk3 themes I get the normal output of "QProcess::start: Process is already running." Wehn trying to preview the styles, they do not appear as they should regardless of being gtk2 or gtk3. Can any one tell me why the temes are not applying to gtk based apps? I also tried setting the style via GTK+ config, but that had no affect,
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

I dont usually bump threads this soon but I could really use some help getting my gtk applications looking tolerable. I am using the gnomish Grey theme: https://launchpad.net/~webupd8team/+archive/themes/
    Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Sep 03, 2012, 05:22 PM.
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Not sure what I did to fix this but it's working properly now!

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
        I dont usually bump threads
        Please don't bump threads -- especially when not even 24 hours has elapsed. It creates unnecessary noise.

Comment

My apoligies Steve. Like I said, normally I don't. In any case, I do have to bump this now as the problem as krept back in. I tried purging kde-gtk-config and reinstalling it but it still does not apply the themes. I launched it from a shell for debugging purposes but when I preview or apply any themes, the shell does not report any errors. I even tried applying them, loging out and log back in. No luck.

EDIT: Spoke to soon again lol. Tried a bunch of troubleshooting but then I realized Settings->Colors->Options->Apply Colors to Non-KDE4 applications, and uncheck this option.
          Last edited by Xplorer4x4; Sep 15, 2012, 02:12 AM.

Comment

If the control panel plugin doesn't work for you, you can install gtk-chtheme for changing Gtk2 themes.
            Kubuntu Raring Ringtail x64 w/ Kde 4.10.5

Multimedia packages for Kubuntu x64 (x264 10bit, mplayer2, Aegisub etc.)
            http://erokawaii.org/?page_id=5181

My stuff on kde-look.org
            http://kde-look.org/usermanager/sear...ction=contents

Comment

Thanks, but gtk-config is working great now and it handles gtk2 and gtk3 themes.

Comment

I had a similar experience and wanted to share it in case it might help someone in the future. I prefer qtcurve as my application theme, but certain gtk apps were not using it despite that is what I set in kde-gtk-config section of system settings, those gtk apps were still using the oxygen theme. I tried what Xplorer4x4 suggested in the fifth post, but that did not work. So, I decided to remove anything related to the oxygen gtk theme (both gtk2-engines-oxygen & gtk3-engines-oxygen) and logged out then logged back in. Bingo! All apps are now using the qtcurve theme and I am now more in love with this install of Precise than I was early this morning.
                Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Never had problems in that regards, as qtcurve always worked fine for all my Gtk2 apps, even with oxygen for Gtk2+2 installed. Problem is, qtcurve doesn't support Gtk3 apps, so those would always appear with the butt-ugly grey default Gtk3 scheme.
                  As I found out, you have to set Gtk2 and Gtk3 to the same theme that supports both, or Gtk3 apps won't be themed:
                  http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...l=1#post309176
                  Kubuntu Raring Ringtail x64 w/ Kde 4.10.5

Multimedia packages for Kubuntu x64 (x264 10bit, mplayer2, Aegisub etc.)
                  http://erokawaii.org/?page_id=5181

My stuff on kde-look.org
                  http://kde-look.org/usermanager/sear...ction=contents

Comment

I am aware there is no qtcurve for gtk3 yet (from what I've read), but the default (i.e. b-ugly grey as you put it) is closer to qtcurve then oxygen is, so I'll take it.

EDIT: Upon further investigation it is qtcurve on the apps I was referring to before, so... not sure what to say. I'm just glad qtcurve is working across all my apps!
                    Last edited by benny_fletch; Sep 23, 2012, 06:58 PM.
                    Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
                    tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Working...
                    X