This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd display issue since update

When I cold boot, on a dual boot system, my computer posts and grub comes up. But it never makes it to the Kubuntu desktop even though the splash screen shows. Screen just goes black. I do a hard reboot and the computer loads to desktop. Repeatable. This is not a problem when booting into Windows 7. I am assuming this is some sort of display issue. Anyone experience the same issues?

Apparently re-seating my video card fixed the problem. Strange however that Kubuntu would load on a hard reboot and not a cold boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Wallace View Post
      Strange however that Kubuntu would load on a hard reboot and not a cold boot.
      Not strange at all if you consider the thermal environment. Hot = expanded metal, Cold = contracted metal. Expanded = makes contact, Contracted = gap between contacts.

Comment

That would make sense in theory, obviously the heating and cooling will cause the card to unseat. But even if the computer has been on for a while and turned off with immediate cold boot it would not boot to desktop. Then immediate hard reboot no problem. I don't belive the card would cool that fast. No problems with booting into Windows 7 on cold boot.
        Last edited by Wallace; Sep 02, 2012, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X