This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot get Acroread to be default PDF viewer

I have a 12.04 desktop machine with Firefox 14.0.1 running. There is ONE site from which Firefox will only show Okular as a PDF reader, even though I have Acrobat 9.5.1 installed. Dolphin on that machine uses Acrobat by default. Firefox on that machine uses Acrobat on most sites. On Just this one site (AFAIK) Firefox does not give me an option to use Acrobat. AND, it is ONLY on this machine. All my other machines running 12.04 load PDF's from that one site with Acrobat with no problem.

This is also the only machine that I have that is a rolling upgrade since 8.04. The others are new installs of 12.04.

Any guesses? Is Firefox identifying itself incorrectly to that one website? Is there a setting somewhere to change that? In Firefox's preferences, acroread is the selected default app.

Weird.

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

I'm pretty sure Firefox manages its own file associations and doesn't look at KDE's - even if you have the firefox-kde package, but I could be wrong about that.

In Preferences > Applications, what do you have for "PDF document"? If it's Okular or "Always ask" can you set "Use other" and select Acrobat?

If that doesn't help try the standard diagnosis for Firefox issues ... create a new empty profile via
    Code:
    firefox -ProfileManager
    and see if that also has the problem.
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

OK, been a long time since I first posted this....

Anyway, nothing I have tried stops Firefox from using Okular for PDF's. Nothing I have tried, including using the profile manager to create a new, blank profile stops Firefox from using Okular.

When I open a PDF from a website, I get the confirmation box asking if I want to open it with the default app (Okular), or save the file. Either of those I can choose. The third option - to do this from now on with files of this type, is greyed out. I have to specifically select acroread every time.

It only happens on this machine. My other Kubuntu 12.04 boxes work fine.

I would uninstall Okular altogether to see if that would fix things, but it seems that I cannot do that without uninstalling the whole KDE desktop.

BTW, I just downloaded the latest version of Acrobat for Linux. I uninstalled the previous version, and reinstalled before trying this again this evening. Acrobat works fine, but I have to manually select it as the app to use every time I try to open a PDF in Firefox (now running 15.0.1).

In Preferences > Applications, what do you have for "PDF document"? If it's Okular or "Always ask" can you set "Use other" and select Acrobat?
      Open in Acroread is selected. Firefox ignores this setting. I can set it to anything I want in the Firefox Applications settings. Firefox just ignores it....

Any other ideas short of a full reinstall?

Thanks.

Frank.
      Last edited by Frank616; Oct 30, 2012, 09:22 PM.
      Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

Comment

Working...
      X