This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact prints 2012 calendar starting jan 2009

This is a fresh install, about three weeks old.
    No calendar has been made, activated, enabled, folded, spindled or mutilated.
    A new personal calendar.

One week of entries for the week of Aug 19 - 25.

The hours of my lectures and labs for four days M-F.

It still does not allow of putting any kind of title on the calendar except by using QT Designer. And I have yet to find a downloadable file that does the simple thing of allowing one to put one's name on one's calendar. (possibly someone who knows the correct search terms might provide such a QT Designer file for people to us on the calendar that goes on the fridge, if one can print it.

It exports as HTML, in the normal, and much beloved, doof export which looses all formatting and is basically worthless to put up on the lab wall and next to the door of my classrooms.

And, of course, if I export an Ical or a vcal Kontact just wants to grab it back so that is of no use so one tries to open it in Calligra and that doesn't work, it does open in LO Writer but that produces 11, that is eleven, pages of text but not a calendar.

It PRINTS the "week" starting January 2009 which is wonderful conservation of trees.

So, basically, the situation has not changed much in the space of several years...I, at least, cannot just simply print a week's calendar from Kontact.

BTW it does export to Google through Akonadai, so digitally, things are fine.
    woodsmoke
    Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 23, 2012, 11:41 PM.

I am using KDE 4.9 from backports.
    When I go into Kontact calendar page and select print it does have the start date as 2009.
    If I click on the calendar that shows in the print box I can select the date it starts from.
    Seems to work OK for me
    Using Kubuntu 17.10 64Bit

Comment

Well, I am going to probably get myself kicked off the forum for this, or at least ingnored by one and all.

The REASON that it prints from 2009 is that.... for some screwed up reason......

In the "preview" it defaults to 2009-01-19 (it may default to 2009-01-20 tomorrow).

When one clicks the date, one is presented with THE CORRECT CALENDAR... and if one clicks it, then the proper week is printed...... from the preview....

And guess what.....?

It then defaults BACK to 2009!!

A neighbor discovered it, I was sitting on the stoop and he asked how the day was going, and I visited about several things, and also mentioned the calendar, the neighbor mentioned that he had heard about "Linux" could he see it, and while I was making coffee he was fiddling with the calendar and .... pointed out the .....shall we say..... "odd" problem.

What did he say?

"Well, if that is the best that Linux can do, then I'll stick with Windows, no offence intended."

So.....

a) I then searched the net to see if the odd thing had been discussed elsewhere, ....ummm no!
      b) so one might ask.....how many people are actually USING Kontact Calendar in even a "light duty" way for this not to have been seen by ANYONE else....mine is the only post.
      c) Do the DEVELOPERS actually USE..... this stuff?
      i) because if it is completely a problem of overheated electrons flying through the aether to my little computer and defaulting both the year and the month but not the day? then I can understand that...
      ii) if it is a "bug" then how come NOBODY else has noticed it?

Because it is not part of the "system" clock or the "distro" clock, whatever that may be because I dld thunderbird and evolution and they print the correct week, even though I don't like the particular printouts...
      Thunderbird, btw allows one to actually place a NAME on a calendar but....won't print the week view as a week view it prints it as a journal.

sheesh.

woodsmoke

Comment

I see the same you are describing woodsmoke, but as Batty points out, and I concur, when you select Print... > Print week, you can change the 'default' Start date of 2009-01-19 and the End date. As to why the two dates default to 2009-01-19, I haven't a clue.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I empathise woodsmoke. And the embarrassment becomes heightened with remarks such as the one that follows;

"Well, if that is the best that Linux can do, then I'll stick with Windows, no offense intended."
          The solution, as you are well aware is peer review and testing, prior to including applications in what some refer to as the premium Linux desktop environment.

"Quality starts at the source, it’s not something that can be patched in after the fact." M.Shuttleworth

And yes, we all know if nothing changes, nothing changes.

FAIL
          Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Well, since SnowHog sees it it must therefore be REAL!!! lol

And, possibly a "bug",

But again, I can't believe that somebody did not catch this.

I would humbly suggest that someone above my pay grade report this as a possible bug, maybe DarkWing.

woodsmoke

Comment

This thread can possibly marked solved.

I was trying to see if possibly the reason that Kontact "failed to download" the calendar was because of the "old problem" of ....recurring events. Well, I didn't have any current recurring events but decided to go backwards and look. I did, indeed, find some recurring events....so....I went all the way back to 2007 through each month to where I was relatively sure that there were no more events to find, and worked forward and deleted ALL events, period, end of story.

Closed, Restarted the machine. and then entered one new event for tomorrow. ON GOOGLE CALENDAR.

It shows on google calendar, I shows in Thunderbird, which just links and displays the google calendar, but it Kontact will not sync to it even though the Akonadi resource says it is syncing and is "ready".

As an afterthought I thought I'd check the preview again and guess what!

In the preview it was INDEED ready to pring only this month, august.

So there must be something in the "code" somewhere that says look for ALL stuff and suggest starting printing from the earliest.

Whether this is a "bug" or not, I don't know, but that part now seemss to be "fixed".

woodsmoke

Comment

Working...
              X