This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stellarium Crashes

I recently upgraded my Dell 4600 from Kubuntu 10.04 to 12.04. The upgrade went smoothly and most things work well. Stellarium is the exception. I can open it, but if I change the time or pan the view it just quits. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but no improvement. Sometimes I get a message that a program has crashed, but there are no details. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Stellarium can be a bit difficult depending on the video driver or X settings.
    At the same time I must say I haven’t had any such problems for the last year or so.

You could try purging it and do a new install.
    Make sure the ~/.stellarium directory is gone before you reinstall.

Comment

On the Advanced Tab of the Desktop Effects try a different Composting type, or a different OpenGPL Option.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
        Make sure the ~/.stellarium directory is gone before you reinstall.
        Generally it is either the user configs or the installation. It should be enough to rename the configs to test if it is them, there is generally no reason to do this just before reinstalling/purging a program.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried deleting the ~/.stellarium directory and reistalling, and changing the composing & OpenGL options, but it still crashed.

My computer has an NVidia GeForce 5200 card, but KinfoCenter shows the OpenGL driver is based on Intel 82865G integrated graphics.

I did a search for nvidia in Muon, and the following programs showed up:
          nvidia-common
          nvidia-winvidiahack4
          jockey-common
          jockey-kde
          smartdimmer
          xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
          libvdpau1

Should I have any other drivers installed to take advantage of this video card?

Comment

Does it output anything useful if you run it from a terminal?

Comment

You need nvidia-common, nvidia-current, libvdpau1 libkwinnvidiahack4 and the two jockeys and nvidia-settings are helpful, smartdimmer depends on the hardware you run.
              Nouveau is the open source nvidia driver that'll kick in when you remove nvidia-common and current.

Comment

Working...
              X