This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kontact-KMail-Akonadi

First of all I apologize if I sound angry, but ever since Kontact went to Akonadi it has been a disaster+ for me. I have a desktop system (my primary) and a laptop for travel. The laptop doesn't get used but once every month or so. I just brought the laptop up KDE to 4.9 and the new kmail2. I used backupmail to create a zip of everything it offers from my desktop. I did it on an external usb drive that is Linux formatted. I moved the drive to the laptop and started a backupmail restore. Kontact errored out on everything it could think of. It wouldn't even start up. I kept getting the message I used to get from Akonadi when ever I tried to do a re-install upgrade. Eventually I copied the .local mail folders over and Kontact at least opened. I closed it and tried a restore from the backupmail zip. It couldn't find any loca-mail folders anyplace. I now have several iterations of mail accounts and identities, no configurations, no contacts, no calendar, and a major mess of files and directories scattered all over. Do I need to go back to a clean 12.04 install and upgrade to clean this up? Will it then do a proper restore from the backupmail.zip? As I said, since Akonadi came along, doing anything with Kontact/KMail has been a disaster for me. When I did a re-install to go to 12.04 I had to start mail set-up from scratch. I lost my old calendar, contacts, and mail folders and could never get them into the new Kontact.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 12, 2012, 11:55 AM. Reason: Point out the actual question
    An old mainframer trying to get modern in his retirement.

Try creating a new user on the laptop and move you mail. If everything is working under the new user, then repeat the process under your normal user (you will have to clear out the old stuff you did that is now messed up). As for losing calendars, contacts, etc., create a gmail account and then from your desktop synch with the gmail account. Then on the laptop, synch it with the gmail account and your contacts and calendar should be there.

Comment

Working...
    X