Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will KDE 4.9 even make it to Kubuntu 12.04 (standard repos)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will KDE 4.9 even make it to Kubuntu 12.04 (standard repos)?

Hi.

I have seen that KDE 4.9 is available in backports now.

Will it ever come to the standard (non backports) repos?

Regards

No, things in the backports don't generally get moved to the standard repo. This is so that people who don't want to update to the latest mojor version don't have to.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up.

I asked as they did bump the minor release in the standard repos... i.e they started on kde 4.8.2 and bumped that to --> 4.8.4

Cheers

Comment

That is because 4.8.x are bugfix releases and don't add any new features so are much less likely to break an existing system or disrupt the end user much.

Comment

And 4.8.5 will be available fairly soon, as well. There will be nothing newer than KDE 4.8.x available via the standard ubuntu -updates repo for 12.04 LTS

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            And 4.8.5 will be available fairly soon, as well. There will be nothing newer than KDE 4.8.x available via the standard ubuntu -updates repo for 12.04 LTS
            That's just as well, because the 4.9 in the backports is buggy. I had to downgrade back to 4.8.4.

Comment

Interesting. I have no issues with 4.9.00 from the backports PPA.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Interesting. I have no issues with 4.9.00 from the backports PPA.
                Try changing your plasma theme or styles. Installing the kubuntu-artwork package will keep you from being able to even launch the appropriate setting program from system settings. At least that has been my experience.

OTOH, the improved speed and other fixes, were quite nice.

Comment

Hmm. Well, I settled on and been using the Oxygen Desktop Theme for the last several versions of Kubuntu, and I look for and download/use custom wallpapers from the 'Net as opposed to using packaged artwork, so I haven't experienced what you have.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
                    Try changing your plasma theme or styles. Installing the kubuntu-artwork package will keep you from being able to even launch the appropriate setting program from system settings. At least that has been my experience.

OTOH, the improved speed and other fixes, were quite nice.
                    you may want to try this .......http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...ith-KDE-4-9-00

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

didn't get kde 4.9.0 is ppa backport same as for kde 4.8.x ?

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
                        That is because 4.8.x are bugfix releases and don't add any new features so are much less likely to break an existing system or disrupt the end user much.
                        I asked this before and no one really commented..it may be to broad but generally speaking would you say this versioning scheme applies to most linux software?

Originally posted by sartic View Post
                        didn't get kde 4.9.0 is ppa backport same as for kde 4.8.x ?
                        I can't really determine what you are asking but I will try. The only way to get KDE 4.9 and KDE 4.# is to add kubuntu backports ppa. If you do not add the Kubuntu Backports you will get 4.8.4, 4.8.5, 4.8.6, etc but never 4.9, 4.10, 4.11, etc.

Sent from my DROID2 Global
                        CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
                        Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
                        Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
                        Graphics Card: MSI R7770
                        Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
                        Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
                        PSU: Corsair 520HX
                        Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
                        Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
                        Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
                          I asked this before and no one really commented..it may be to broad but generally speaking would you say this versioning scheme applies to most linux software?
                          Quite allot of open-source software follows this convention for versioning Major.Minor.Release. Release is normally incremented when a bug fix is released and dose not normally contain new features. Minor is normally incremented when new features are added (often along with bug fixes). Major tends to be incremented when a major change in the software happens, quite often this is incremented when backwards or forwards compatibility is broken for some reason (normally to get rid of old unneeded/deprecated code).

Though not every thing follows this and often projects take on their own meaning for each of the numbers or slightly changes the meaning.

Comment

Sorry, what I meant to say was "version numbering scheme." I was well aware of the concept that most releases are bug fixes and/or minor new features. I just felt like in the world of Windows the majority of software stuck to just 1.X type updates for bug fixes and on occasionally you might see a new feature, but I would never automaticly assume to see new features in a 1.X release. Maybe this is a bit subjective to the software you used, but alot of which,even when I was a windows user, was great free open source software.
                            CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
                            Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
                            Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
                            Graphics Card: MSI R7770
                            Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
                            Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
                            PSU: Corsair 520HX
                            Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
                            Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
                            Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Allot of the mojor programs found on linux use the x.x.x scheme, most programs on windows tend to use what ever version scheme their team likes the most.

KDE follows it quite strictly, you should never see a new feature in a 4.9.x release, only bug fixes (normally ones that have been backported from the current development cycle) and are released once a month. 4.x releases contain new features and bug fixes that are deemed to be stable enough by the feature freeze. It will probably be bumped to version 5 when they make the switch to qt5 since it will break binary compatibility with version 4.

But in the end it is up to each project to decide on what visioning system they use so not all linux software will use this scheme.

Comment

Working...
                              X