• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    Then just include the simulate option:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --simulate <package>
    Thanks thats very useful! Like I said, I can't recall if it prompts me every time when doing remove --purge or not but I know for a fact that when doing sudo apt-get install <package> it sometimes prompts me to answer yes or no and sometimes it doesn't. Is there a reason for this? Is there a way to make apt-get install to always prompt me when doing installs?
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

'A' reason for the "sometimes it prompts; sometime it doesn't" would be timing. If you have used a sudo'd command within the last x time, and then use another sudo command, the prompting is offered.
      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

For Debian, if the package named in the apt-get command has no dependencies, and there are no other complications or conflicts, then it will be installed without a request for confirmation. If packages other than the one named in the apt-get command have to be pulled in, then that triggers the request for confirmation. I believe the *buntus follow this protocol for apt-get.

Comment

Even with oodles of hard drive space, I prefer to remove packages that I know I won't use. My reasoning for this comes purely from my background as an infosec practitioner. Every program installed on a machine also has to be kept up-to-date, even if it's a program you never use. Vulnerabilities can creep in anywhere. So to keep a machine's potential attack surface as low as possible, I purge packages that are unnecesssary for me.

I used to install just the base Ubuntu CLI mode, and then construct a hand-built KDE distribution. However, I'm not following that approach anymore, since joining the Kubuntu membership. I feel it's important to install the distribution as envisioned by the maintainers. After installation, then, I add extra packages that I use and remove packages that I don't need. Admittedly, the distinction between the two approaches is probably slight. But it's what I do now.

In Xplorer4x4's "Top 10" post, I mentioned a few packages that I purge, and Xplorer4x4 wanted to know more:
          Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
          Hey Steve, few question if you don't mind. How can I purge the foreign language fonts and such? How come you disable the update notifiers?
          First, the fonts and other unused items. Here is the list of packages I purge after installing Kubuntu. These packages are all part of the "recommends" set of various metapackages, and can thus be purged without removing the corresponding metapackage. Note: this is taken from my Quantal alpha 3 installation on my X1.

From kubuntu-desktop
          * akonadi-facebook
          * avahi-autoipd
          * avahi-daemon
          * bluedevil
          * bluez
          * bluez-alsa
          * bluez-cups
          * brltty
          * dragonplayer
          * fonts-kacst-one
          * fonts-khmeros-core
          * fonts-lao
          * fonts-lklug-sinhala
          * fonts-nanum
          * fonts-sil-abyssinica
          * fonts-sil-padauk
          * fonts-takao-pgothic
          * fonts-thai-tlwg
          * fonts-tibetian-machine
          * ibus-qt4
          * im-switch
          * jockey-kde
          * kaccessible
          * kmag
          * kmousetool
          * kpat
          * kppp
          * kubuntu-firefox-installer
          * kvkbd
          * libnss-mdns
          * muon-notifier
          * plasma-widget-facebook
          * plasma-widget-kimpanel
          * quassel
          * ttf-indic-fonts-core
          * ttf-punjabi-fonts
          * ttf-wqy-microhei
          * xcursor-themes

From ubuntu-standard
          * apparmor
          * ppp
          * pppconfig
          * pppoeconf
          * ufw

(I replace Quassel with Quassel-client, because I run a Quassel Core on my home server.)

Next, I run sudo apt-get --purge autoremove to clean up remaining depends. This won't, however, clean up any recommends, so I install and run deborphan to list left-over recommends from the packages that I purged (there are several). I feed the output of that into sudo apt-get purge.

Finally, the update notifiers... both my computers are laptops, which I power down at the end of each day. Cold-booting each morning takes very little time, since both laptops are equipped with SSDs. Each morning, part of my daily routine is
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update
          sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          I prefer to manage updates manually rather than let a background daemon continually poll for updates.

----

Oh, and one other thing... while I know it isn't too popular around here, I find Aptitude to be a useful maintenance tool for parts of this exercise. It is so much faster to navigate the package lists with Aptitude when removing all those recommends.
          Last edited by SteveRiley; Aug 04, 2012, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            * kpat
            What? No Solitaire? Oh, what ever so you do with those laptops?

I also remove all the unneeded xserver-xorg-video- and xserver-xorg-input- files I don't need.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              I also remove all the unneeded xserver-xorg-video- and xserver-xorg-input- files I don't need.
              Ditto here. Especially on a laptop with an embedded GPU -- no way to change out video.

I only have the following xserver* packages installed:

xserver-xorg-video-vesa
              xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
              xserver-xorg-video-vmware
              xserver-xorg-video-intel

xserver-xorg-input-all
              xserver-xorg-input-wacom
              xserver-xorg-input-mouse
              xserver-xorg-input-evdev
              xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse
              xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                What? No Solitaire? Oh, what ever so you do with those laptops?
                Why, I linger on this here fine forum

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Ditto here. Especially on a laptop with an embedded GPU -- no way to change out video.

I only have the following xserver* packages installed:

xserver-xorg-video-vesa
                xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
                xserver-xorg-video-vmware
                xserver-xorg-video-intel

xserver-xorg-input-all
                xserver-xorg-input-wacom
                xserver-xorg-input-mouse
                xserver-xorg-input-evdev
                xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse
                xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
                You can purge -video-vmware and -input-vmmouse, as they're used only for VM guest (not host) installs. And -wacom, too, unless you actually have a digitizing tablet.

Like you guys, I also remove all the unneeded Xorg stuff. I'd also just as soon get rid of the plethora of printer drivers, but I occasionally find myself needing to print in unpredictable locations so I let the drivers to remain installed.

Comment

Working...
                X