This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Window Decorations Crashing

I recently changed my window theme from System Settings > Workspace Appearance > Window Decorations. Shortly afterwards, Window Decorations crashed. Now it crashes every time I open it. Nothing I've tried works. I've rebooted, I've even renamed the .kde folder (in case the preferences had gotten corrupted, or something).

Did you rename ~/.kde while not logged into KDE?

A couple other guesses:
    Code:
    rm ~/.config/Trolltech.conf
    rm -r /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER
    Do these outside KDE.

Comment

I had the same problem, what fixed it for me, was to uninstall kwin-style-qtcurve.

Comment

Ah, yes, good point.

JustinBailey: have you installed any additional themes or styles that aren't included in a default Kubuntu installation?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Ah, yes, good point.

JustinBailey: have you installed any additional themes or styles that aren't included in a default Kubuntu installation?
          Yes, at least one.

Comment

Which one(s)? And have you tried removing it/them?

Comment

Which one(s)? And have you tried removing it/them?
              I don't remember the name(s). I don't know how to remove them outside of the Window Decorations panel, which, of course, I can't do, because it crashes as soon as I open it. I tried searching for kwin-style* and found nothing. Which directory are the Window Decoration files stored in?

Comment

I just installed a random decoration to find out what happens. Besides installing the files in expected locations, it made a change to kwinrc. Therefore, perhaps you can restore your window manager by manually reverting the change. Outside KDE (that is, from a console TTY):
                Code:
                nano ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
                The PluginLib line should clue you into the name of the decoration you installed. Make a note of it, and then return to Oxygen by making this change:
                Code:
                PluginLib=kwin3_oxygen
                Finally, manually delete the decoration you don't want. I can't predict how each decoration might install itself, so I can only show what files were installed as a result of my experiment. I installed the "Ambiance" decoration, part of the Aurorae theme, and the following files were added:

Code:
                steve@t520:~$ [B]sudo updatedb[/B]
                steve@t520:~$ [B]locate aurorae[/B]
                /home/steve/.kde/share/apps/aurorae
                /home/steve/.kde/share/apps/aurorae/themes
                /home/steve/.kde/share/apps/aurorae/themes/ambiance
                /home/steve/.kde/share/apps/aurorae/themes/ambiance/ambiancerc
                /home/steve/.kde/share/apps/aurorae/themes/ambiance/close.svg
                /home/steve/.kde/share/apps/aurorae/themes/ambiance/decoration.svg
                /home/steve/.kde/share/apps/aurorae/themes/ambiance/lucidwinedition.svg
                /home/steve/.kde/share/apps/aurorae/themes/ambiance/maximize.svg
                /home/steve/.kde/share/apps/aurorae/themes/ambiance/metadata.desktop
                /home/steve/.kde/share/apps/aurorae/themes/ambiance/minimize.svg
                /home/steve/.kde/share/apps/knewstuff3/aurorae.knsregistry
                /home/steve/.kde/share/config/auroraerc
                /usr/lib/kde4/kwin3_aurorae.so
                /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/aurorae
                /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/aurorae.desktop
                /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/aurorae/AuroraeButton.qml
                /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/aurorae/AuroraeButtonGroup.qml
                /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/aurorae/AuroraeMaximizeButton.qml
                /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/aurorae/Decoration.qml
                /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/aurorae/DecorationButton.qml
                /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/aurorae/MenuButton.qml
                /usr/share/kde4/apps/kwin/aurorae/aurorae.qml
                /usr/share/kde4/config/aurorae.knsrc
                So, using the above as a guide, locate the files for your borked add-on and rm or sudo rm them, as appropriate.
                Last edited by SteveRiley; Jul 26, 2012, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Okay, it turns out I actually did have Aurorae installed, so I followed your directions exactly and uninstalled it. My windows are back to Oxygen, now. However, the settings are still crashing. This happens immediately, as soon as I open Window Decorations, and it happens every time. (I have rebooted since changing the settings/deleting.)

The details from the crash handler are
                  Code:
                  Executable: kdeinit4 PID: 2207 Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
                  Last edited by JustinBailey; Jul 30, 2012, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Backtrace gave me this:
                    Code:
                    Application: KDE Control Module (kdeinit4), signal: Segmentation fault
                    Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".

Comment

In a terminal window, please run the following and copy-paste the output into a reply here:
                      Code:
                      kcmshell4 kwindecoration

Comment

In a terminal window, please run the following and copy-paste the output into a reply here:
                        Code:
                        kcmshell4 kwindecoration
                        Code:
                        KCrash: Application 'kcmshell4' crashing...
                        KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
                        sock_file=/home/pants/.kde/socket-pants-System-Product-Name/kdeinit4__0

[1]+  Stopped                 kcmshell4 kwindecoration

Comment

I Googled around a bit and found some bugs (242626, 301646, others). I don't have any other immediate suggestions for you. With a bit of searching you might come across a similar situation and find a solution, or perhaps you might file a new bug at KDE. Sorry I ran out of ideas.

Comment

I Googled around a bit and found some bugs (242626, 301646, others). I don't have any other immediate suggestions for you. With a bit of searching you might come across a similar situation and find a solution, or perhaps you might file a new bug at KDE. Sorry I ran out of ideas.
                            It looks like it might be fixed in 4.9. (I'm running 4.8.) Thanks for trying, though!

Comment

Just upgraded to 4.9. Unfortunately, problem still exists.

Comment

Working...
                              X