X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

User configuable power settings

Greetings,

Is there any way to get user configurable power settings in the latest KDE update? The KDE site says taking this away is a 'feature' and expect me to switch activities before I look at photos or watch a video. I have a hard enough time keeping track of which application is on which virtual desktop without having to try to remember which activity I was in when I opened something.

The KDE team seem to be determined to make me use activities. I have yet to find a need for them until now.

Don

What sort of settings are you looking to change?

And, no you don't need to use activities, how are you being forced?

Comment

You used to be able to setup multiple power profiles and switch between them as needed. Most of the time I would run on power saving but if I was doign a long compile or slow update I'd swicth to a no sleep mode or speed profile. Now there is only one global profile unless you use activities which can have their own powe rprofiles.

Which is useless for me - they are only active when the Activity is running and focused, If I'm running back ground process I don't want interrupted I don't want to have to stay in its activity.

Comment

Ahh yes, it has been about 2 years since powerdevil moved to its current form, I believe. The Activity feature was only recently added. As for cpu scaling, that has long since moved into and is controlled by the kernel. Powerdevil is modular an plugin-based, but it looks like no one has felt the need or urge to write something to do these things you are looking for

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Ahh yes, it has been about 2 years since powerdevil moved to its current form, I believe. The Activity feature was only recently added. As for cpu scaling, that has long since moved into and is controlled by the kernel. Powerdevil is modular an plugin-based, but it looks like no one has felt the need or urge to write something to do these things you are looking for
          http://drfav.wordpress.com/2011/10/0...nd-its-future/
          Sounds more like a conscious decision rather than a lack of effort/resources, poor show IMO.

Comment

Actually - they took the time to remove this. Before the latest update (a few days ago - not two years), you could add your own power profile and switch to it. Now you cannot - you need to make an activity, change the behaviour, then switch to that.

Comment

Originally posted by don@robertson.net.nz View Post
              Actually - they took the time to remove this. Before the latest update (a few days ago - not two years), you could add your own power profile and switch to it. Now you cannot - you need to make an activity, change the behaviour, then switch to that.
              Yeah, as someone who doesn't use activities that sounds like a lot more hassle than just clicking on the battery icon and selecting a profile.

I'm still on 11.10 (with no PPAs added) but I intend installing 12.04 sometime soon, will I end up with this latest version of kde at some point if I stay with the stock repos for the life of 12.04?

Comment

Originally posted by don@robertson.net.nz View Post
                Greetings,

Is there any way to get user configurable power settings in the latest KDE update? The KDE site says taking this away is a 'feature' and expect me to switch activities before I look at photos or watch a video. I have a hard enough time keeping track of which application is on which virtual desktop without having to try to remember which activity I was in when I opened something.

The KDE team seem to be determined to make me use activities. I have yet to find a need for them until now.

Don
                Is it possible to write a script to do this, and have it execute with profile load or unload,

Or just the script with a toggle on/off button/icon that sits in the tray maybe?
                Kubuntu 12.04 - Acer Aspire 5750G

"I don't make a great deal of money, but I'm ok with that 'cause I don't hurt a lot of people in the process either"

Comment

Working...
                X