X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

some letters on HD wont show

Hello

I have a old FAT drive that used to be a external but the hardware failed on it and now I made it a conventional internal (NOTE - The actual drive is working as intended)

Some folders wont show or be read since they have "unconventional" letters like åöä/ÅÖÄ that show up like a question mark. kdesudo and make this drive user run don't work like it used to when it was a external, and I can't access some of the folder in it.

any suggestions ?

b.r

jonas
    ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

I have has some sucess renaming these types of files/directories using krename.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you for the tip, but krename wont play along. I think it's because of some user/root privileges. I can't access these files to change it to user permissions. How would I change it to UTF 8(or other that can read åäö etc) encoding on the harddrive?

Right now the owner is root

b.r

Jonas
      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
      Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
      Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
      Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
      - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
      >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

You are able to 'see' these folders/files. So, you should also be able to 'manipulate' them from the CLI (console/terminal) using globbing (wild cards). If for example, a file 'looked' like this:

Da??e?to_?.txt (here, the ? is what is displayed for an unrecognized character)

And if it was owned by root, you should be able to change ownership to your user with:

sudo chown user:user Da??e?to_?.txt (here, the ? is a wildcard for a single character 'in that position' of the named file/folder)

Similarly, renaming such folders/files should be doable in the same manner.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 19, 2012, 01:48 PM.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X