This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel video and Firefox problem

When I visit my newspaper at http://www.telegraaf.nl on this Thinkpad W520 running Intel video Firefox will usually lock up the whole desktop, it doesn’t always happen right away but at least as soon as I try to scroll down the page, I experience this problem since some 2 weeks ago.
    Only the Magic Keys will get me restarted.
    The problem does not occur when I run on nVidia.

Rekonq has never worked for me, it crashes every few minutes, recently with the message that nspluginviewer has crashed.
    Making a bug report on the Rekonq problem fails as installation of the debugging symbols does not work.
    Luckily there's still Konqueror and Opera.

I've been looking through the logs but so far I haven't found anything explaining why Firefox makes the desktop unresponsive, the mouse still moves but the buttons and keyboard seem dead. I have Ghostery, Better Privacy, Adblock Plus and Flashblock installed.
    There is a second install on this computer and it exhibits the same problems.
    One is standard and up to date, the other has x-swat, klaus-vormweg and sumski's PPA enabled.

Launchpad bug 933187

Perhaps not directly related to your issue, but there's a widespread problem with freezes, both hard and soft, in 12.04. Are you sure your problem is Firefox-related?

Comment

It only happens in Firefox and only on the site mentioned.
      No problems with opening this site in other browsers or with any other site in Firefox.
      And no problems when running in Discrete mode, it's related to Intel, Firefox and the website http://www.telegraaf.nl

Comment

I tried to make my computer crash on that page and was not successful. I first tried Rekonq 0.98; it loads fine (no browser crash), it renders correctly, and scrolling up and down multiple times never caused a problem. Next I tried Konqueor; as expected, the Flash objects didn't load, but the rest of the page looked fine, and again, multiple scrolls just worked. Finally I tried Firefox 14.0 from the Firefox-Next PPA; once more, no failures on load or scroll. But curiously, when viewing the page with FF, my fan zoomed up to max after just a few seconds, and top showed Firefox chewing up about 50% of my CPU!

Comment

Rekonq no prob. Version 0.9.1
          Using KDE Development Platform 4.8.3 (4.8.3)

Konqueror no prob but igh CPU 38-68%
          Version 4.8.3 (4.8.3)
          Using KDE Development Platform 4.8.3 (4.8.3)

google chrome no prob but same high CPU split between 2 instances of it's self in top
          Version 19.0.1084.56

firefox ver. 13.0 no prob but same thing high CPU ............all browsers constantly scrolling top to bottom of the page.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

3.4.1-030401-generic #201206041411 SMP

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Steve and Vinny, when I return home (in about two weeks) I'll do a fresh install.

Comment

Working...
            X