This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as promised above,
    after a clean reboot, I logged into the test user, started chrome, followed by a hibernate/restore cycle.
    no swap used
    opened several tabs, including flash based tabs, followed by a hibernate/restore cycle.
    some swap was still being used (in the neighbourhood of 40 or 50)
    I'm beginning to think that this problem is related to chrome or a plugin.
    Thanks,
    Ray

Comment

Originally posted by rst View Post
      (in the neighbourhood of 40 or 50)
      MB? That's very little. Unless you see a few hundred MB being used up on every hibernate-resume cycle on a test user account, using Chrome and everything, then I would say there is something messed up in your main account config files. So far I don't know how to narrow down where the error could be.
      I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

The original problem was about 400 MB of swap being used up on every cycle.
        In the simplified testing 0MB of swap was used up in every cycle, until I introduced chrome, and then I saw
        40 or 50 MB used up after one cycle.
        So you're right, 40MB isn't very much, but it shows a hint of the problem.

Comment

But it didn't seem from what you wrote that it was repeating with each cycle, only happening once?

Comment

Happening (nearly) every time until I run out of swap and reboot

Comment

I don't use Chrome but since it appears to you to be the main culprit, you could try this prior to putting your machine to hibernation and see if that makes any difference.
              Ok, got it: Ashes come from burning.

Comment

Does it ever happen without Chrome?

It might well be to do with a plugin. I don't use Chrome enough to know but in Mozilla products the diagnosis procedure would be to create a new standard profile and see if the problem recurs with that (the equivalent of creating a new test Linux user).

Comment

I haven't had the time to do detailed troubleshooting with different programs yet.
                  on first try, the purge memory button on chrome doesn't seem to make a difference.
                  Kubuntu wants to update to kernal 3.2.0.25.27 so I will let it. I will make sure that flash is up to date, and then I will go through testing programs and plugins one at a time. I hope to do this some time in the next week or so.
                  Thanks for all your help and if you have any other ideas, please let me know.
                  Ray

Comment

Working...
                  X