This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

k3b / cdrecord won't write more than 3.8 GB to DVD

I am having a problem when burning DVDs (DVD-R type) with more than 3.8 GB of data on them. Any data that is written above the 3.8 GB limit isn't properly written, although it sometimes can be read in Windows or (in the case of AVIs) on my DVD player. The type of data is unimportant; this behaviour occurs with any data DVD.

It matters not whether I use k3b or k9copy or Brasero or Gnomebaker as the front-end, making me think the problem is with some DVD burning software, such as recent wodim and or genisoimage/growisofs packages of cdrkit. This is the same sort of problem that happened long ago, but didn't happen for me in Lucid. (I am using the same hardware I have successfully used for years).

I went back to my Oneiric installation (I didn't use Maverick or Natty much) and sure enough, the problem is there, too. The behaviour is not just unusable/unrecognisable discs, but freezing once burning reaches 3.9 GB, or an abort, or the mysterious "error 254."

It has crippled burning DVDs above 3.8 GB for me altogether. Interestingly, there is no problem at all burning DVDs with less than 3.8 GB data on them.

Reading the Ubuntu forums I see similar complaints with Brasero on Ubuntu.

Could wodim have gotten screwed up (or genisoimage?)

It is not that easy to install the original cdrtools (cdrecord and mkisofs) in (K)Ubuntu, and I can not figure out where to set k3b to use them even when I do install them.

Another possibility is a recent (Dec 2011) change to libdvdread -- maybe this isn't fixed completely?

libdvdread (4.2.0-1ubuntu3) precise; urgency=low

* Add 103-iforead-tt-srpt-pointerfix.patch: Fix read/write beyond end of
    an array due to using a length value taken from the DVD, which can
    exceed the allocated size, causing a segmentation fault.
    (LP: #894170)
    Last edited by perspectoff; Jun 13, 2012, 10:33 AM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.
Working...
X