This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

System hangs after attempt at startup script

Having recently recovered my system after a self-created disaster, I was trying to get my pogoplug to load at startup (I can get it no problem from the terminal after I'm on the desktop but wanted it to autoload). In trying this via a short script - which I then loaded onto the system settings startup - I now get a complete hang on boot up. The desktop appears, but I get no response for five minutes or so - then I appear to get access to the kickoff panel but any selections made just result in the bouncy animation for a moment then nothing. I can get access to guake terminal if there is an obvious solution to this that way.

ps. In case it matters, I had a thought about going into my partition via an image disk and deleting the script - the logic being that it was the attempt at running the script that was causing the hang, so if I deleted it then it would stop the hanging happening. Did that, but its still the same.

Any ideas?

After you attempt log in and the desktop hangs, jump to the terminal ( CRTL-ALT-F1 ) and type top to see what's running. Try killing any unneeded processes. Once you figure out what's hanging, remove it.

Since you're getting to the desktop - just not accessing it - it's likely a user settings or config file is the problem. Creating a new user will verify this.

If the above doesn't work, boot up, don't log in, jump to the terminal, rename your /home/<YOUR USER>/.kde folder and attempt log in.

It could be a total coincidence that you attempted the pogoplug thing and started having this problem, but once you're running again you might want to start a thread to ask for advice on the best way to launch that program.

Curious: Why use guake (for Gnome DE) rather than yakuake (for KDE)?

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks oshunluvr - I'll set about that tonite.

The guake came from a recommendation I read online somewhere - I'm not that experienced and so just installed it. I do find it very convenient, but didn't know there was the yakuake alternative. I will go for that when I get up and running again

Cheers!

Comment

Oshunluvr - you're a star. Worked first time. It was Kate that was gobbling up my system memory, so when I killed her all was good. I then removed the offending script.

I've put in a new post on the autostart issue

Cheers

Comment

Working...
        X