Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slightly odd question - KDE games (kpatience to be specific)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly odd question - KDE games (kpatience to be specific)

I have no idea what's going on here.

I installed 12.04 the other week and pretty much everything seems to be fine.

The only weird thing I've found, is that when I have KPatience running (my personal default card game - the Klondike version), on clicking "new game", the prog deals the cards fine. If I click on the "pack" (the cards not dealt straight into the game) it "turns over" a card or cards fine.

Yet when I use the mouse/cursor to "move a card", the graphic image either doesn't move at all, then a few seconds later the move happens (between 3 and 6 seconds of pausing), or it moves, shadows the card "below" and the hovers and "waits" before lining up on the stack of cards below - again, with a pause of between 3 and 5 or 6 seconds.

Now I appreciate that this indicates that there's probably something going on with the graphics, and it's probably something that needs a setting modifying, but it's really, really annoying and I don't know where to start to look for an answer.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please ?
    What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away! Tom Waits.

I Googled around and didn't see anything. You could try uninstalling and reinstalling Kpatience, or go into System Settings>Desktop Effects>Advanced and change the compositing type from OpenGL to XRender. Maybe turn off whatever desktop effects you have going. Just a few shots in the dark but maybe one will work.

Comment

I'd suspect desktop effects.. Try disabling effects in the system config and see if the problem stops. If it does, re-enable global effects and uncheck one effect at a time until you find the culprit.

Supplying more information would help - graphics card and such...

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi Fatbloke,
        I had the same problem. Unticking the sound effects solved it for me.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I'll try the suggestions and see what happens, then post back with what I find.

regards

fatbloke

Comment

Ok, so I tried Jeremy_Ray's idea first. It didn't seem to make any difference, so I did a restart with the idea that sometimes, some things don't show a result until the "server" has had a restart (don't know if that's a wrong supposition or not.....). After the restart, nada.

I was about to change the setting back, thinking of trying to eliminate one thing at a time and I remembered Rainmakers idea and just used the drop down to get to the Kpatience settings (I didn't/don't know if this might be a whole system problem, or just a Kpatience thing) and switched off the sound effects (while the desktop setting was still on XRender).

Now the movement actions of the cards work correctly, just with no sound (shame as IMO the movements and sound are all part of the experience, but never mind - at least it seems to be moving correctly - which, to me, is the most important part).

I've switched the desktop setting back to OpenGL as well and it still seems to work as above.

Many thanks for the ideas and guidance - I just wish I wasn't as stupid as I am and knew how to sort problems like this, or even better, know how to offer assistance to help/repair it. Ha! I suppose in the great war against "the dark side", you still need enthusiastic idiots like me, so the smart guys have the POV of the "numpty masses" like me.

Again, thanks for the assistance. It's very much appreciated.

regards

fatbloke

Comment

Working...
            X