This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Annoying file associations

I don't know if these are decided bby whoever packages kubuntu, each individual app or kde developers.
    The thing is that I find two file associations to be particularly annoying:
    one is Calligar with .txt files, which I find rather ridiculous;
    the other is kid3-qt with flac files.
    I now that the solution is 4 or 5 clicks away, but I believe that to prevent those apps from being associated with those files would be a minor but positive modification.

There are dozens of cases where this happens. The problem is, who decides which app is the correct default? What if your idea of the "Best App" for a particular purpose is different from the developers?

It appears in most case the last installed app gets "Top Billing." Likely this could be changed to put new apps at the bottom of the app list, but either way, you'll have to make some manual adjustments eventually.

Part of the price we pay for flexibility.

Please Read Me

Comment

To restore Kate as the default for its files:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install --reinstall kate

Comment

To restore kate all you have to do is click on properties, etc. I know it's easy.
        My point was just that even though when I install smplayer and it associates itself to mp3s without my consent it seems perfectly natural,
        I couldn't think of a single person who would want to modify the tags of a flac file by default
        or open a text fiel in calligra, which even asks you about the encoding or sth. like that.
        Just a thought. I didn't want to offend anyone nor to complain about flexibility or freedom of speech or anything like that.
        Sorry

Comment

I, too, would like to see a general "Are you sure?" mechanism when an application wants to change existing file type associations.

My suggestion w.r.t. Kate was as a short-cut for undoing the changes that Calligra makes to Kate's assocations. Oshunluvr's observation is correct: whatever is most recently installed is what wins. So by reinstalling Kate, you can quickly undo the text (and related) file changes that Calligra does.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
            Oshunluvr's observation is correct: whatever is most recently installed is what wins. So by reinstalling Kate, you can quickly undo the text (and related) file changes that Calligra does.
            It is not always so.

Comment

Originally posted by carlosestensser View Post
              It is not always so.
              Perhaps not for all packages, but at least for restoring Kate's ownership of text files, this approach works.

Comment

I would file a bug against calligra on launchpad for this, as that is a Kubuntu supported package, found in the Main component of the repositories.

A great majority of packages found in the Universe component are automagically ported over from Debian, and if those were built using the developers' defaults for such things, that is what will happen. kid3-qt is one of these perhaps. It can be fixed if there is a bug report and someone keen to fix it.

Comment

Done.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ra/+bug/998324

Comment

Working...
                  X