This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evolution in Kubuntu 12.04

I have a seemingly small problem with Evolution. The highlight for mail is so dark that I can't read what is being highlighted. I tried changing the color theme in System settings but it doesn't make a difference. I suspect it's a problem left over from setting up Evolution in 11.10 as described in:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3119828.0

MOVED: [solution] Evolution in Kubuntu 11.10
    Started by SteveRiley, Dec 24th 2011 05:20 AM

This was moved to "How to's". But I can't find the 'how to' or the topic anymore. I get an error page when I try it.

Anyway. How do I fix it?

Thanks

The post is at http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...+Kubuntu+11.10
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I know it's Linux and all....but the bigger question is why you are using Evolution in KDE? Worse comes to worse, you would likely use Thunderbird I would think. Again, nothi9ng wrong with it; just wondering why someone would use Evolution.
      ​"Keep it between the ditches"
      K*Digest Blog
      K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

For Snowhog. Thanks for the link. I tried switching the themes in "settings.ini" and it didn't seem to do much. So it would seem something more fundemental has changed in 12.04.

For dequire. I use Thunderbird for a different set up.

12 May update. A couple of folks at Ubuntu are having the same problem:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post11923458

No solutions posted as yet.
        Last edited by lcharles; May 10, 2012, 08:50 AM. Reason: Similar problem noted at Ubuntu forums

Comment

I've tried to change the gtk3 theme to get a different look in Evolution but nothing I do seems to change it. I even tried changing the name of the ini file in .config so it couldn't be read and I still get the black highlight in Evolution. Does the solution "Evolution in Kubuntu 11.10 not work in 12.04? I'm missing something here.

Comment

Hi Icharles

Since it is a "viewablity" thing could you post your video card/monitor resolution?

woodsmoke

Comment

Hi woodsmoke,

The card is a GeForce GTX 560 using GL420 Nividia 295.40
              The monitor resolution is 1280 x 1024

lcharles

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
                I know it's Linux and all....but the bigger question is why you are using Evolution in KDE? Worse comes to worse, you would likely use Thunderbird I would think. Again, nothi9ng wrong with it; just wondering why someone would use Evolution.
                I use evolution because many years ago when evolution became available I started using it, and am, or have been until now, comfortable with it. Actually, I would probably take it rather personal to be pressured to defend what is a valid personal decision.

I also have the dark can't-read problem, and on 12.04 I can't even install themes on the desktop, which is one of the proposed solutions to can't-read. Icon tray changes, but never a picture. I am left with a sneaking suspicion 12.04 was not ready to ship. So, maybe we will get bug fixes. If not eventually I will try Mint 13 KDE
                Last edited by irlandes; Sep 04, 2012, 10:11 PM. Reason: sent prematurely

Comment

Originally posted by lcharles View Post
                  This was moved to "How to's". But I can't find the 'how to' or the topic anymore.
                  See http://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthr...+Kubuntu+11.10
                  Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

After re-reading the few previous posts, it seems to me that there is a thread buried someplace about colours and readability.

The fix was not a fix per-se, it was a settings thing with the particular theme being used.

There were two variants of the situation for different people.

One that the letters were too white and the other that they were "black" but in both cases, unreadable.

And, again, the fix was in the settings which had somehow changed with the installation of a new theme, or a change in the "hi-color" when an update was done.

is this on a Quantal OS, could it have been a hi-color setting that changed in some kind of update?

woodsmoke

Comment

Have you tried setting different gtk theme with kde-gtk-config from KDE goodies repository? Do you have both gtk 2 and gtk 3 themes installed? Evolution is gtk 3, I guess.

Comment

Working...
                      X