This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kmail using wrong sender address

I decided to a clean install of 12.04, including a new /home to clear 2 1/2 years of crud. Only one problem has arisen: I can receive emails using Kontact/ Kmail (4.8.2) but it tries to send them using my "real name@'hostname'" (rick-desktop) rather than my email sender address. The error is:

Failed to transport message. The server did not accept the sender address "John Smith@rick-desktop". The server responded: "<John Smith@rick-desktop> SIZE=571 invalid address

"John Smith" I have edited from my actual name, the error has a space between the two as shown. If my real name was John Smith for my ISP it should be "john@smith.plus.com"

Under "Kontact-Mail-Settings-Configure Kmail-Accounts-sending-modify-advanced" it defaulted to selecting "Use custom sender address" with the correct sender address. Unticking gives the same error.

Under "Kontact-Mail-Settings-Configure Kmail-Identities" it shows the correct email sender address, as does opening System Settings and checking "Account Details."

Using POP3.

Edit: replying to an email sends correctly.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Bolly; May 08, 2012, 05:26 PM.

In my KMail configuration...

Configure KMail | Identities | (identity) | Modify | General
    * Your name = Alice Jones
    * Email address = alice@jones.org
    * Email aliases = (blank)

Configure KMail | Identities | (identity) | Modify | Advanced
    * Special transport = (not checked)

Configure KMail | Accounts | Sending | (account) | Modify | Advanced
    * Send custom hostname = (blank)
    * Use custom sender = (blank)

Comment

Thanks Steve, this entry "Use custom sender = (blank)" wasn't blank, though I had tried unblanking it before with no joy. But I unblanked it again- and it worked

I have also just realised an error on my part- I was retesting by trying to resend the queued message, I should have probably always tried a new message as I guess the original message already had the wrong send address it wasn't going to change?

Anyway, all sorted now- many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bolly View Post
        I have also just realised an error on my part- I was retesting by trying to resend the queued message, I should have probably always tried a new message as I guess the original message already had the wrong send address it wasn't going to change?
        Correct, any changes made to these settings will affect message headers only for new messages. Existing messages waiting in the outbound delivery queue won't be modified.

Glad you got it sorted.

Comment

Working...
        X