This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu Java Recommendations?

What is the recommended Java to install these days... And what is the idiot proof way to do it? I really wish they made it one click. I am tired of googling it with every new release of buntu as it is necessary to use the internet.

Unless you have some particular need to go with Java 7, you can get OpenJDK 6 and the IcedTea browser plugin, including necessary dependencies, with one command:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install default-jre icedtea-plugin

Comment

I did manage to get Oracle Java 7 up and running. I don't remember the post that I found on this... if you can't find it, let me know and I will dig it out.

Comment

Is it recommended to run Oracle Java 7? or that open iced tea one? I know nothing about Java and want what ever will work best for my families laptops and mine problem free.

Comment

I can't comment on the differences between Java 6 and Java 7, as this is something I haven't researched.

A minimal Java installation that allows locally-installed and over-the-Internet Java programs to run requires two things: the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and a browser plugin. Because the Sun/Oracle Java 6 has been removed from Ubuntu, an open-source alternative implementation fills the void. default-jre is a meta-package that installs the JRE from OpenJDK version 6, as built by the IcedTea project. icedtea-plugin is the corresponding browser plugin.

I have yet to encounter a Java application that requires version 7, and even Oracle still offers version 6 as their primary download. Thus, the open-source alternative that I indicated above -- which also happens to be the default for all *buntus -- will likely work as expected for your situation.

Comment

Ok Steve! Thank you for the information and all the help. I will use the command provided.

Comment

Working...
            X