This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netbeans7.1.2 Installation

I am new to Kubuntu, but not new to linux. I have tried to install Netbeans7.1.2 with out any success. Downloaded the installation script and moved it to my home folder. Changed the permissions to executable. When I doubled clicked it did not execute. Went to Knosole and got it to execute there, but did not get a GUI. It came up and asked for the JRE location. I downloaded the JRE to my Home folder and extracted it there. Tried the installation again from the Konsole and it still could not find the JRE files. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Steve Richardson

And the reason you are not installing the packages from Muon Package Manager and/or from the CLI using apt-get install? Both packages are available in the repositories, although Netbeans isn't at the version you indicate.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The version that I listed is the latest release. The versions of Linux that I have been using do not have Netbeans in their repositories. Therefore downloading and installing was the only option. So do I need to put in a package request to get the newer version placed in the repositories?

Steve Richardson

Comment

Just because a 'higher' version of a package is listed on the application web page doesn't mean that it is available at that version for the version of Kubuntu you are running. In the case of Kubuntu 12.04, the version of netbeans available is 7.0.1+dfsg1-4.

You can't just download a .deb package of an application from a site with a higher version and expect that it will run in the version of Kubuntu you are using. That isn't how it works.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I have marked this as solved since the answer appears to be that you can't do that. It appears that I have become spoiled by the small one person Distro that I have been using for the past 6 years. Because there I was able to download the loader from Netbeans which is just a simple script file and click on said file and it would execute. Here the script file will only execute from the Konsole.

Steve Richardson

Comment

You might give this a try:
            http://connectwww.com/how-to-install...tu-11-10/1477/

I know it is for version 7.0.1, but the tutorial installs netbeans via the method you described. So, you might try installing the latest JRE for the repos and follow the steps listed in the linked article. It may or may not work, but what do you have to lose?
            Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
            tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

!!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!

Upon further research I found this link:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2012/04/...cise-pangolin/

and following the included instructions to get the correct java installed, Netbeans7.1.2 (as downloaded from Oracle) installed as it should.

Therefore this thread is officially and happily marked as CLOSED.

Steve Richardson

Comment

Originally posted by benny_fletch View Post
                You might give this a try:
                http://connectwww.com/how-to-install...tu-11-10/1477/

I know it is for version 7.0.1, but the tutorial installs netbeans via the method you described. So, you might try installing the latest JRE for the repos and follow the steps listed in the linked article. It may or may not work, but what do you have to lose?
                Thanks Benny,

I recognize you from the land of Mepis. I hope you are doing well.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                X