This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomp01 View Post
    It is really weird, there has been several kernel and driver updates yet it is still happening!
    I would still like to know why this problem just doesn't happen in Mint 12 KDE, The Nvidia driver version is the same but it is using kernel 3.0.0-17-generic-pae.

Comment

Have you tried using the kernel from Oneiric? Perhaps it is the kernel that is at fault here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Bumpy View Post
        Have you tried using the kernel from Oneiric? Perhaps it is the kernel that is at fault here.
        I mostly use Mint 12 KDE and Zorin 5.2 which are rock stable, I log into Kubuntu periodically to see if there are any updates and whether the problem has gone away!

Comment

I can't see the point of rolling back to a previous version, I want to see if the problem has been fixed.

Comment

Well, if you tried the older kernel and it solved the problem, then you would know that the problem lies in the kernel.

Comment

Well, if you tried the older kernel and it solved the problem, then you would know that the problem lies in the kernel.
              Who is to say that won't just cause yet another problem?

Comment

It would be nice if somebody could explain why MInt 12 KDE is immune from this problem.

Comment

A very nasty bug...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/993187

Comment

Well, as you can tell by my ramblings on that bug report, I've futzed around with a number of kernels, I've tried various iterations of laptop dock and no dock, and the problem persists. It's totally random and the freeze is so diabolically hard that I can find nothing logged.

Today I'm running kernel 3.5rc2. So far, it's been fine, running for four hours.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                      Well, as you can tell by my ramblings on that bug report, I've futzed around with a number of kernels, I've tried various iterations of laptop dock and no dock, and the problem persists. It's totally random and the freeze is so diabolically hard that I can find nothing logged.

Today I'm running kernel 3.5rc2. So far, it's been fine, running for four hours.
                      Has the freeze gone away or is it still happening?

Comment

well, If anybody is running mint 12 kde edition, they are right to say it is rock solid as it is for me. Most likely because mint 12 linux edition is using kubuntu 11.10.

I still experience locked screen but am able safely to reboot but ctrl+12 and ctr+del like a madman. I switched over to xrender and it works fine. It is openGL, Kwin, Nvidia, Kernel issue as far as I know. I'm keeping an eye on these threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Cresho View Post
                          yup ,i had the same issue. I reinstalled and the first thing i did was

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates && sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade && sudo apt-get install nvidia-current=295.33-0ubuntu1~precise~xup1

and reboot and no crashes since. I have a gt250
                          well, If anybody is running mint 12 kde edition, they are right to say it is rock solid as it is for me. Most likely because mint 12 linux edition is using kubuntu 11.10.

I still experience locked screen but am able safely to reboot but ctrl+12 and ctr+del like a madman. I switched over to xrender and it works fine. It is openGL, Kwin, Nvidia, Kernel issue as far as I know. I'm keeping an eye on these threads. Most likely xorg issue as well. ohh, my card is a gts250

settings->system settings->Desktop effects->advanced->compositing type-> use xrender for now. and check "suspend desktop for fullscreen windows" remove effects, blur cover switch, startup feedback, desktop cube. you will suffer vsync issue at a cost.
                          Last edited by Cresho; Jun 14, 2012, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tomp01 View Post
                            Has the freeze gone away or is it still happening?
                            Well, I'm now on my fourth day with kernel 3.5rc2 -- this is the longest time I've gone freeze-free. But some X updates have also come along, too, so I'm not really sure which particular element has suddenly contributed to my increase in stability.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                              Well, I'm now on my fourth day with kernel 3.5rc2 -- this is the longest time I've gone freeze-free. But some X updates have also come along, too, so I'm not really sure which particular element has suddenly contributed to my increase in stability.
                              im going to attempt this.

Comment

Also, if the updated Intel driver doesn't work, it might be worth trying the latest 3.4 kernel, which has fixed a number of Intel graphics-related issues, including a memory corruption bug that has affected my laptop for years. You can install the updated kernel by downloading the following packages into a folder:
                                . http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...1817_amd64.deb
                                . http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...011817_all.deb
                                . http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...1817_amd64.deb

After downloading the packages, run the following terminal command from the folder in which these packages reside:
                                Code:
                                sudo dpkg -i linux-*.deb
                                This will install the kernel and add it to your boot menu as the default kernel. The current Precise kernel will remain installed and can be selected at boot using the "Older Linux Versions" menu option.

I hope this helps!
                                attempting this, hope it works.

Comment

Working...
                                X