This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
    To make your bug report more useful, I copied the output of the failed install attempt. More details are always better, so when posting bugs, backtrace information is helpful.

I have another question -- are you behind a proxy server of some type?
    No.

Comment

Originally posted by tdockery97 View Post
      After getting the errors referred to above, I just did a "sudo apt-get -f install" and it completed downloading the fonts from sourceforge and installed them.
      Did you initially have exactly the same problem as Oldgeek, including an identical Python backtrace and identical IOError message?

Comment

Did you initially have exactly the same problem as Oldgeek, including an identical Python backtrace and identical IOError message?
        Yes, I had the same errors show up here. It appeared as if for some reason the mscorefonts installer wasn't connecting to sourceforge properly to download the fonts. Not being particularly savvy with the ins and outs of the system itself, I couldn't say why what I tried worked. Maybe something else I fiddled with helped also?
        Kubuntu 20.04
        HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

Well, I've just tried the sudo apt-get -f install bit and this is what Kubuntu thinks of my pitiful attempts:

steve@steve-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get -f install
          [sudo] password for steve:
          Reading package lists... Done
          Building dependency tree
          Reading state information... Done
          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
          steve@steve-desktop:~$

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
            Well, I've just tried the sudo apt-get -f install bit and this is what Kubuntu thinks of my pitiful attempts:
            Oldgeek, I actually expected that the command wouldn't work. apt-get -f install is used to fix a system with broken dependencies. This does not describe your situation. Something else is going on.

Originally posted by tdockery97 View Post
            Maybe something else I fiddled with helped also?
            Tdockery97, I suspect it was something else that solved your problem. Can you remember what other things you tried?

Comment

Oldgeek, I actually expected that the command wouldn't work. apt-get -f install is used to fix a system with broken dependencies. This does not describe your situation. Something else is going on.

Tdockery97, I suspect it was something else that solved your problem. Can you remember what other things you tried?
              Embarrassingly, I cannot. All I can say for sure is that it was done in the terminal (rather than Muon, although it was begun in Muon), and that suddenly it continued the install by connecting and downloading the fonts from sourceforge.
              Kubuntu 20.04
              HP Pavilion 17, 8GB DDR3, A10 APU w/ ATI Radeon HD 8650G

Comment

This little problem has become unexpectedly hard to resolve. I went to the Sourceforge website and downloaded .exe files of the core fonts in question. But I don't know what to do with them because I can't open them. Or can I? I really don't understand what type of files I'm dealing with or how to install them, or even if they can be installed. Since no one else seems to know what my problem is either, I don't feel so incompetent. But it would be nice to get those fonts....

Comment

as a side note this is from the mscorefonts-installer description
                  NOTE: the package fonts-liberation contains free variants of the Times,
                  Arial and Courier fonts. It's better to use those instead unless you
                  specifically need one of the other fonts from this package.
                  perhaps these will help you until you can get the mscorefonts-installer to work.

you can install these from your package manager .

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

These fonts come pre-installed with Libre Office. As it looks like I won't be able to solve this core fonts problem, I'll have to go with the Libre Office fonts. These are fine if I want to save in .odt format, but what if I want to use the .docx Word 2007 format? If I use the Ubuntu font in Libre Office and save it in .docx format, what will Word 2010 do with the Ubuntu font, which I presume isn't part of their repertoire? Would Liberation Sans Serif become Arial? I have to use Windows 7 and Word 2010 at work, so font compatibility is an important issue--which is why I want the ms core fonts installed. Plus the fact that it's still an unsolved problem.

Comment

Working...
                    X