This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bug Reporting Assistant Workarounds?

Is there a way to help report problems/crashes without having to use this tool? Lately rekonq has been crashing often (just clicking on the settings button), and I would love to help get the crashes solved. However, the bug reporting assistance ask for extra packages, and downloading the packages give a very vague menu (Download speed only) that seems to take forever to download (5 minutes on 1%).

Also, had Muon Update Manger crash several times today just by checking for updates.

If rekonq and muon are both crashing repeatedly, I would say there is a broader stability problem of some kind on your system. In other words, if a true software bug exists and needs to be reported, it is probably not in an individual software package like rekonq or muon, it is probably something in the configuration of your system (drivers, filesystems, other configuration settings, etc.), or some general problem in KDE4 as it is configured on your system.

If you will pop open a terminal, and enter "rekonq" and run it that way, when it crashes there will be error output in the terminal that you can paste into a post here, and maybe we can see what's going wrong.

Comment

Well Rekonq seems to be running fine today. I tried several of the things that would lead to a crash, but it runs smoothly now. I did notice that by disabling KdeWallet, rekonq spams messages in the terminal about refusing/declining request.

On to Muon Update Manager. Similar to rekonq today it's running a lot better. I did pick up an error after checking for updates:
      Code:
      username@computer:~$ QCoreApplication::postEvent: Unexpected null receiver

Comment

What most of us do with an error message, for starters, is simply google it. So if you google "QCoreApplication: postEvent: Unexpected null receiver", you get all kinds of hits and you can review them and see which seem to actually have useful information about your situation. For example, take a read through this one: https://github.com/thoughtbot/capybara-webkit/issues/39 for a fairly detailed description of what's going on. And the second post on this one from 2010 describes a diagnostic macro that you can run to learn more (I can't personally vouch for it): http://www.qtcentre.org/archive/index.php/t-35985.html

But that looks more like an "informational notification" than an error to me -- I don't think it's reflecting a serious problem.
        Last edited by dibl; Jun 04, 2012, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X