This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install and Muon - not a very good start to 12.04

Installed 12.04 over my old 10.10 installation. Not a pleasant experience altogether. I installed without formatting the installation partition and after a long while it hung at 'Installing previously installed software' at 90%. Had to hard-reset the machine, and of course it did not boot. So installed again, and opted to format the partition. This time it worked. But hey, why do they offer the option of not-formatting if it does not work, right?

Next. I installed 64 bits. Want to install Skype via Muon. No dice. Yes, I enabled the partner repository and guess what, the complete 'Partner section' in Muon is empty. Not a single package. So installed good ole' synaptic and had skype in a jiffy.

This is 2012. I have been using Linux for 8 years, and frankly I am disappointed that such simple things as installing the OS or installing software are still plagued with bugs. Kubuntu still looks like one of those very few serious KDE distros out there, but maybe I need to check out MInt with (shudder) the Gnome.....

Sorry for the rant, I know I do not post often. I am not a forum junky though I use Kubuntu on a daily basis. I normally find solutions for niggles I find. Installing a new version is one of those events where you can actually check out the state of affairs again and I was not pleasantly surprised.

I installed Skype just fine using Muon and Kubuntu 12.04 AMD64. My only difference was that I was coming from 11.10. I've read lots of issues upgrading from 10.10. The bottom line is that I don't think it was very well tested (None of the Devs doing the testing were likely coming from 10.10). I don't think personally that I would ever try to leap 3 versions via an "upgrade" unless the upgrade went from 10.10 to 11.04, 11.10, and THEN to 12.04. In which case a fresh install would have certainly be easier.

I helped a little with testing but all of my machines were coming from 11.10 as well. Bottom line is that I would wager that if you were trying to upgrade to the latest version on Mint from 3 versions back, you would likely have issues as well. Just food for thought.
    ​"Keep it between the ditches"
    K*Digest Blog
    K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

Muon Suite

There are:

Muon Software Center

At here, this is not finding the Canonical partner apps.

Muon Package Manager

At here, this is finding the Skype from the Canonical partner archives.

More of the Muon: http://jontheechidna.wordpress.com/

Bugs: https://bugs.kde.org/
      --> https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=muon

Bugs : muon in Ubuntu
      --> https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/muon/+bugs
      Last edited by OneLine; May 27, 2012, 12:06 PM.
      Have you tried ?

- How to Ask a Question on the Internet and Get It Answered
      - How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Comment

Originally posted by dequire View Post
        I installed Skype just fine using Muon and Kubuntu 12.04 AMD64.
        I actually said that I had reinstalled with a format, so this is a clean installation. So why Skype does not show up is beyond me.

When you install without formatting a partition, it looks as if the installer wants to install all software for you that you had installed on a previous versions. If that is so, that is asking for problems. It should simply erase the typical folders such as /etc /usr/bin /usr/lib /var etc and only leave /home intact.
        Last edited by Xinixs; May 27, 2012, 06:16 AM.

Comment

I'm not sure why it doesn't show in the muon software manager, but skype is definitely in the muon package manager which is very similar to synaptic.

As for installing without formatting, it doesn't actually erase anything. It starts copying and overwrites existing files with the same names and adds new files. However, previous configuration files could still be out there that can cause grief with updated versions of software, so it is usually not recommended to install the system without formatting the root drive. Of course, if /home is on your root drive, then it gets wiped out, too.

Comment

This is why it's not showing up in the Software Center: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1005209 The software center has no knowledge about any apps in the partner repo since the data package is empty, so doesn't display anything. Not a bug in Muon, but unfortunately makes it look bad. :/

Comment

Originally posted by JontheEchidna View Post
              This is why it's not showing up in the Software Center: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1005209 The software center has no knowledge about any apps in the partner repo since the data package is empty, so doesn't display anything. Not a bug in Muon, but unfortunately makes it look bad. :/
              You would think they could fix that with an update.

Comment

Originally posted by JontheEchidna View Post
                But the same data package isn't empty when accessed via Muon Package Manager with the repository marked as active. Or does Software Center and Package Manager use different repositories? I don't think they do, do they?
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@Xinixs...nothing is perfect, especially when it is FREE, just sayin, but almost ANY distro is better than Win-DOHs, lol. As for me, if I have problems with Muon, I crank open Synaptic, no biggy, you are an experienced user, you know the only way bugs get fixed is if they are reported. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    But the same data package isn't empty when accessed via Muon Package Manager with the repository marked as active. Or does Software Center and Package Manager use different repositories? I don't think they do, do they?
                    The Software Center uses a separate store of data to determine packages that are considered "applications", and only shows those.

Comment

Ah. Thank you for the explanation.
                      Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                      X