This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Failure. Wifi key lost

I just upgraded to 12.04 and upon rebooting I ended up at the Grub Boot Menu. Selecting any of the options resulted in a message along the lines of No Such Partition. I did see in the terminal when upgrading a warning message to do with grub concerning BLOCKS and BEING A BAD IDEA but unfortunatley cannot remember the exact message. In /boot/grub there were only 2 files gfxblacklist.txt and grubenv. With help from a friend i managed to reinstall grub and it now boots. During installation of grub i again got a similar message about BLOCKS and BEING A BAD IDEA. I also had to redo the wireless connection since the key was 'lost' during upgrade. Can anyone shed any light as to the problems as this also jhappened last time i tried to upgrade?

The computer is partioned as follows
    Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders, total 234441648 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x41ab2316

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 39063551 19530752 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 39065598 234440703 97687553 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 39065600 230469631 95702016 83 Linux
    /dev/sda6 230471680 234440703 1984512 82 Linux swap / Solaris

I'll wager the partition UUIDs and or numbering scheme got changed.

I think the easiest solution will come from re-installing Grub2 from the LiveCD.

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda5
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda1

or some combination of those. Someone else can be more precise (since I use Grub Legacy, mostly, not Grub2, to avoid exactly this kind of problem).

The wireless key always gets overwritten during upgrades, IME. Plus, the key is stored in KWallet, and that can be quirky. I don't use a KWallet password when storing the wireless key, on my laptop, for example, otherwise I end up being prompted for the key constantly.

If I've accidentally set a password for KWallet keys, I erase the KWallet contents and start over.
    Last edited by perspectoff; May 14, 2012, 05:31 PM.

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
    and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

As far as GRUB is concerned:

Assuming your system is installed on /dev/sda1, to reinstall grub, you would boot with the LiveCD, get to a konsole terminal, and type:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda --boot-directory=/dev/sda1/boot
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I did get it working again with a friends help but was interested to know why the problem occurs. Is it to do with my computer setup or is Kubuntu sometimes flaky when upgrading?

Comment

Were you installing from a CD or usb key? I have had, on occasion, the installer pick up the usb key as the boot device (which it was for the installation) and want to install grub there. Of course, then your existing grub is left untouched on the sda but now points to the wrong places.

I usually have only found this to be a problem on certain machines, which makes me think it is bios related and usually only when manually partitioning the drive during the install. The installer does tell you where it is going to install grub, but if you aren't paying attention, it is easy to miss and not change.

I don't know if that is what happened with your install or not, but I'm glad you got it fixed.

Comment

Neither it was an upgrade from 11.10 which also suffered the same problem when i upgraded from 11.04

Comment

Originally posted by paradox View Post
              Thanks for the advice. I did get it working again with a friends help but was interested to know why the problem occurs. Is it to do with my computer setup or is Kubuntu sometimes flaky when upgrading?
              And that help consisted of doing what?
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I did the following from a live cd

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
                this assumes your hard drive is sda1

then
                sudo mount --bind /dev /mnt/dev
                sudo mount --bind /proc /mnt/proc
                sudo mount --bind /sys /mnt/sys

sudo chroot /mnt

update-grub

sudo grub-install /dev/sda

then do umount in the reverse order

the link my friend found was http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1692144

Comment

Working...
                X