This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Desktop!! Accidentally unchecked KDE-plasma from Startup

For no fathomable reason, whilst trying to resolve a sudden slow-down on performance I unchecked what was in my Start-up.

Net result: I login to a completely blank desktop with no mouse response whatsoever. When I Ctl-alt-del I get back to the login but none of the other options, including KDE failsafe, makes any difference. I'm using 12.04.

I am prepared to re-install - if thats what it comes to - but if thats the advice can you tell me what to backup (I can get access to files from my dual-boot distro - Peppermint) so that I can get things back to where they were - I would hate to lose all of my settings, and ideally my installed progs. I am pretty new to all of this but enjoying the learning!

Any help appreciated

...phew! Managed to sort this by navigating to /home/tom/.kde/share/autostart then changing the 'Hidden=true' to hidden=false'. This worked when I re-booted. Relief!

Comment

Hint: you can manually start plasma by pressing alt+f2 (to bring up krunner) and type in it plasma-desktop and hit enter.

Comment

Thanks james147 - thats helpful to know for future reference

Comment

Working...
        X