This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu appreance change complitely

So i would want to know if there is any easy trick to get rid of it. I jus opened my computer and kubuntu 12.04 desktop was like resolition would be 800x600, wallpaper is blue and icons are big as hell. In settings resolution is normal. Also lower toolbar is missing and settings menu looks same as in ubuntu 12.04. Please help. Now this is third time with stupid errors in kubuntu so next installation eill be lubuntu. I dont do reinstallation.

If you think that the KDE settings are messed up, you could delete the .kde directory in your user directory. However, without knowing what you did before you shutdown your computer, it is hard to tell by your description what might be causing the problem. Did you just install upgrades or change video drivers? I ask, because it sounds like a video driver issue, but again, not enough info. Also, is it possible that you are now in the netbook mode instead of desktop mode?

Finally, you state that the settings menu lookis like ubuntu 12.04. Did you maybe install ubuntu-desktop? Kubuntu wouldn't have any ubuntu stuff.

Comment

The situation might be the video card, you didn't mention what kind.

woodsmoke

Comment

Originally posted by vw72 View Post
        If you think that the KDE settings are messed up, you could delete the .kde directory in your user directory..
        Best not to suggest deleting ~/.kde as it can contain application data as well as settings that may or may not be relevant (for example the kwallet data is stored there and deleting ~/.kde will delete all kwallets remembered passwords).

A better suggestion is to try creating a new user and see if they suffer from the same problem, if they don't then try try resetting application settings (normally by renaming files in ~/.kde/share/config starting with the most relevant).

KDE application data is stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/

Comment

The toolbar may be missing because it is off the display canvas. It looks like your video driver is defaulting to the lowest resolution regardless of the System Settings screen resolution setting.

What does

lispci | grep VGA

and

lsmod | grep video

show?
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by james147 View Post
            Best not to suggest deleting ~/.kde as it can contain application data as well as settings that may or may not be relevant (for example the kwallet data is stored there and deleting ~/.kde will delete all kwallets remembered passwords).

A better suggestion is to try creating a new user and see if they suffer from the same problem, if they don't then try try resetting application settings (normally by renaming files in ~/.kde/share/config starting with the most relevant).

KDE application data is stored in ~/.kde/share/apps/
            Thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Comment

Working...
            X