X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVidia driver issues ???

Greets all !!

I've been fighting with a newly acquired laptop ( an MSI GX600 ) with NVidia 8600M GT 512mb onboard trying to get a working driver installed in Kubuntu 12.10 to avail ! I'm reading that there are alot of issues with dependencies etc that causes this problem. I'm at the point now where I'm either A) Gonna run Winblows 7 with virtualbox and install Linux there ( NOT what I want to do ! ), B) Waste my life away trying to get drivers installed in 12.10 ( cuz I'm not yet REALLY good in Linux !) or ... option C) Install 12.04 LTS IF it has no issues with installing NVidia drivers !

My question is this ... does anybody know for sure if 12.04 LTS has the same NVidia driver install issues as 12.10

Much appreciate the help !!!
    Thanks !!!

There aren't any dependencies I'm aware of for the nvidia drivers other than dkms and the kernel. I have heard of the 8600M having driver issues. You should be able to install older (173 series) drivers or the open source version - nouveau.

Might I suggest you seek a solution directly rather than jump around versions? What have you tried, what are your results, etc?

As far as the 12.04 vs. 12.10. If this is indeed your choice, you'll want to consider kernels. 12.04.0 (the original release) and 12.04.1 use an older kernel and xorg set than 12.04.2 (the latest) release. 12.04.2 is more like 12.10 so if 12.10 is giving you fits, 12.04.2 might also.

Or is you really want to go old-school 10.04 is still supported.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by sprinthead View Post
      Greets all !!

I've been fighting with a newly acquired laptop ( an MSI GX600 ) with NVidia 8600M GT 512mb onboard trying to get a working driver installed in Kubuntu 12.10 to avail ! I'm reading that there are alot of issues with dependencies etc that causes this problem. I'm at the point now where I'm either A) Gonna run Winblows 7 with virtualbox and install Linux there ( NOT what I want to do ! ), B) Waste my life away trying to get drivers installed in 12.10 ( cuz I'm not yet REALLY good in Linux !) or ... option C) Install 12.04 LTS IF it has no issues with installing NVidia drivers !

My question is this ... does anybody know for sure if 12.04 LTS has the same NVidia driver install issues as 12.10

Much appreciate the help !!!
      Thanks !!!
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install linux-source
      sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic
      sudo apt-get install linux-image
      sudo apt-get install nvidia-current

Comment

Working...
      X