This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 12.04 with llano APU random lockup

This beast is an HP Pavillion P6-2003w. I'm running Kubuntu 12.04 64 bit with the 3.2.0-39-generic kernel. The problem I have is that it locks up at random. It may run without any problems for several hours or it may lock up 2 or 3 times in an hour. For the first few months I had it, I ran XP on it and had no trouble with it locking up. I only had trouble with it locking up after I installed Kubuntu. I tried Slackware for a month or so and didn't have any trouble with this beast locking up. I found Slackware too much of a pain in the backside and came back to Kubuntu. I'm begging for anyone who can to help. Please please please let me know what if anything can be done to correct the problem.

Here are the details on the hardware.

Motherboard AAHD2-HY (Holly)
    Manufacturer: Pegatron
    Form factor: uATX: 24.38 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.38 cm (9.6 inches)
    Chipset: AMD Hudson-D2 FCH
    Memory sockets: 2 x DDR3
    Front side bus speeds: 100 MHz UMI (Unified Media Interface)
    Processor socket: FM1
    Expansion Slots:
    PCI-Express Generation 2 speed

1 PCI Express x16
    3 PCI Express x1
    1 PCI Express Mini Card x1

HP gives this url for more details on the motherboard but my attempt to post the url was rejected. Please let me know if you need more information.

Processor AMD E2-3200 (Liano) dual core 65W

Memory
    4 GB

Amount: 4 GB
    Speed: PC3-10600 MB/sec
    Type: DDR3-1333

Video graphics
    Integrated Graphics HD 6370D

Sound/Audio
    Integrated Realtek ALC 656 Audio

LAN Realtek RTL8111E gigabit ethernet controller (included on the motherboard)

Please let me know if there's more information needed that I didn't post. I did try to include a url to HP's site giving hardware details, but was rejected.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Derek

May I suggest you try 12.10 instead. For a number of folks encountering various kinds of lock-ups on 12.04, 12.10 appears to solve the majority of problems. If you'd like some history about that, check out Launchpad bug 993187.

I think there remains a collection of unresolved issues that involve some weird interactions between the kernel, X, graphic drivers, and -- oddly enough -- USB ports.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      May I suggest you try 12.10 instead. For a number of folks encountering various kinds of lock-ups on 12.04, 12.10 appears to solve the majority of problems. If you'd like some history about that, check out [this bloody thing rejects anything I post with a url in it.]Launchpad bug 993187[/URL].

I think there remains a collection of unresolved issues that involve some weird interactions between the kernel, X, graphic drivers, and -- oddly enough -- USB ports.
      I don't believe 12.04 is the problem. It must have been January when I tried 12.10 and had the same problem. I did some searching and found references to another problem with the llano processors in 2011 and early 2012 that mentioned the video not working. By the time I tried 12.04 that was fixed, but the locking up problem seems to have replaced it. I'll look at the url you gave me.

Also I remember from the mid 90s hearing about problem windows boxes had with conflicts between printer and video drivers.

Thanks

Comment

Yesterday I upgraded to 12.10 and the machine locked up about an hour or so later. Then I upgraded to 13.04 and it also locked up. I know there are many differences between Slackware and the various flavors of Ubuntu. I'd like to know what difference or differences are responsible for this beast not locking up under Slackware, but locking up when running Kubuntu.

Originally posted by Derek Trotter View Post
        I don't believe 12.04 is the problem. It must have been January when I tried 12.10 and had the same problem. I did some searching and found references to another problem with the llano processors in 2011 and early 2012 that mentioned the video not working. By the time I tried 12.04 that was fixed, but the locking up problem seems to have replaced it. I'll look at the url you gave me.

Also I remember from the mid 90s hearing about problem windows boxes had with conflicts between printer and video drivers.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X