X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound no wireless no touchpad after kernel update

HP Pavilion DV4 1125nr - Kubuntu 12.04 - KDE 4.8.5 - amd64
    uname -a: Linux hp-laptop 3.2.0-39-generic #62-Ubuntu SMP Thu Feb 28 00:28:53 UTC 2013 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Yesterday, after updating the kernel to the version above, I lost sound, wireless (Broadcomm) and touchpad (Synaptics). Any help is welcome.

Things are getting worse: after applying today's updates (udev and related libs) I no longer have mouse (USB) and dual displays too. I booted from an Ubuntu 12.10 CD just to post this message and see if I get any help in this forum. Please note these weird symptoms (all in Ubuntu 12.10): the speaker button light is off at startup; when I press it, it turns red and mutes the sound; if I press it again, its light goes off but the sound is ok. The wireless button light is red at startup and remains red when I press it; wireless if not working at all.

TIA

Comment

Originally posted by mmnogueira View Post
      Things are getting worse: after applying today's updates (udev and related libs) I no longer have mouse (USB) and dual displays too. I booted from an Ubuntu 12.10 CD just to post this message and see if I get any help in this forum. Please note these weird symptoms (all in Ubuntu 12.10): the speaker button light is off at startup; when I press it, it turns red and mutes the sound; if I press it again, its light goes off but the sound is ok. The wireless button light is red at startup and remains red when I press it; wireless if not working at all.

TIA
      Your info is contradictory. You say you have issues on 12.10 but post info for 12.04 and then say you are using using 12.10 fine.

Comment

@dmeyer
        I have issues on 12.04. Since I cannot boot from the harddisk I booted from a Ubuntu 12.10 DVD just to inspect the harddrive volume and to post iin this forum. The issues on 12.04 remain.

Comment

@dmeyer
          I have issues on 12.04. Since I cannot boot from the harddisk I booted from a Ubuntu 12.10 DVD just to inspect the harddrive volume and to post iin this forum. The issues on 12.04 remain.
          Oh ok. That makes more sense. You can start with
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
          then reboot. If not working then:

Code:
          sudo apt-get install -f udev b43-fwcutter xserver-xorg-input-synaptics network-manager pulseaudio
          Unplug your second display while we work through your issues. If this doesn't work we can do some proper troubleshooting.

Comment

Originally posted by dmeyer View Post
            Oh ok. That makes more sense. You can start with
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            then reboot. If not working then:

Code:
            sudo apt-get install -f udev b43-fwcutter xserver-xorg-input-synaptics network-manager pulseaudio
            Unplug your second display while we work through your issues. If this doesn't work we can do some proper troubleshooting.
            Thanks, dmeyer. However, I cannot start the console because I don't have mouse anymore. I "burned" a Kubuntu 12.04 LTS live on an USB and booted from this device. I can inspect the harddisk volume and navigate the internet; touchpad is working but USB mouse not. The USB drive has the option to install Kubuntu. Should I reinstall it safely?

Comment

Thanks, dmeyer. However, I cannot start the console because I don't have mouse anymore. I "burned" a Kubuntu 12.04 LTS live on an USB and booted from this device. I can inspect the harddisk volume and navigate the internet; touchpad is working but USB mouse not. The USB drive has the option to install Kubuntu. Should I reinstall it safely?
              Hold on before you reinstall. When you boot up you get to your login screen. Then hit Alt+Ctrl+F1, login with your details and run the commands.

Comment

Hold on before you reinstall. When you boot up you get to your login screen. Then hit Alt+Ctrl+F1, login with your details and run the commands.
                The screen becomes blank (black). There's no prompt where I can type commands. Please note that I'm back to the USB "DVD" in order to post messages here.
                Last edited by mmnogueira; Mar 21, 2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

The screen becomes blank (black). There's no prompt where I can type commands.
                  Does lightdm start before you switch or not?

Comment

Does lightdm start before you switch or not?
                    Please excuse my ignorance, but what is lightdm? How do I know wether it starts or not?

Comment

@dmeyer:
                      Thanks to Wikipedia now I know what lightdm is, but still doesn't know wether it starts or not. Since booting from the USB drive is working fine, can I open a console here, access the local harddrive, login and issue the aforementioned commands there?

Comment

When you boot up, does anything appear on the screen? Does Grub2 appear?

Comment

Grub2 doesn't appear, but only a window with two options: "Try Kubuntu" and "Install Kubuntu". I hit "Try Kubuntu" and the system boots (I mean the USB drive). Grub2 doesn't appear also when I boot from the harddisk; in this case the desktop1 appears first because I configured " auto-login" in the past - there's no "login window".
                          Last edited by mmnogueira; Mar 21, 2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Grub2 doesn't appear, but only a window with two options: "Try Kubuntu" and "Install Kubuntu". I hit "Try Kubuntu" and the system boots (I mean the USB drive). Grub2 doesn't appear also when I boot from the harddisk; in this case the desktop1 appears first because I configured " auto-login" in the past - there's no "login window".
                            What happens when you boot the system without any usb drivers or cd or dvd or other external storage media inside.

Comment

The desktop 1 screen appears, with its background (a landscape picture); shortly after, the cairo-dock appears and then an error message window, informing that "No touchpad was found...". I press Enter ("Ok") and this window closes. The mouse pointer doesn't move, either using the touchpad or the USB mouse. There's constant activity on the harddisk (its light doesn't go off).

Comment

Working...
                              X