This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
    As I said a couple of posts back, one option is to just get a cheap non-RAID PCI-E x1 SATA card, and move non-high-performance drives over to that, freeing up SATA ports on your motherboard. Then do the RAID setup using the motherboard's SATA ports.
    Technically my PCI card is non-RAID. It comes stock with RAID BIOS but has a utility to flash a non-RAID BIOS to the card. Other then a different bus, how is this different then using my PCI card? Plus I have not seen a single card on Newegg that is not RAID capable to some degree.

That may in fact end up being the best option... and definitely cheaper. I've heard the same advice about RAID cards, namely that only the more expensive ones are worth getting. I heard that advice some years back though, so I honestly don't know if it holds equally true today.
    Good to know I am not the only one who has seen this trend and will explore that in more detail.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
    Graphics Card: MSI R7770
    Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
    Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
    PSU: Corsair 520HX
    Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
    Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
    Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

Originally posted by Xplorer4x4 View Post
      Technically my PCI card is non-RAID. It comes stock with RAID BIOS but has a utility to flash a non-RAID BIOS to the card. Other then a different bus, how is this different then using my PCI card?
      Well, I wasn't counting the PCI card you already have because you'd said that your PC won't boot with it plugged into your motherboard. That pretty much rules it out as a viable option IMO.

Plus I have not seen a single card on Newegg that is not RAID capable to some degree.
      How about something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816115072 for $24.99?
      sigpic
      "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
      -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by HalationEffect View Post
        Well, I wasn't counting the PCI card you already have because you'd said that your PC won't boot with it plugged into your motherboard. That pretty much rules it out as a viable option IMO.
        Correct, but what rules that out but what makes you think the card below will work when the PCI card won't? I see some interesting details in the specs such as achi compliant, but of course you can understand why I am cautious on investing in another card.

How about something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816115072 for $24.99?
        That seems a bit more reasonable.

Sent from my DROID2 Global
        CPU: Intel Core i7 2600K
        Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
        Memory: 2x4GB Corsair Dominator
        Graphics Card: MSI R7770
        Monitor: Dell 2208WFP
        Mouse: Mionix NAOS 5000
        PSU: Corsair 520HX
        Case: Thermaltake Mozart TX
        Cooling: Thermalright TRUE Black Ultra-120 eXtreme CPU Heatsink Rev C
        Hard Drives: 1x180 GB Intel 330 SSD - 1xWD 1 TB Caviar Black - 1xWD 2 TB Caviar Green - 2xWD 3 TB Caviar Green

Comment

I have to admit that it's a bit of a gamble, although only a $24.95 gamble. I'm working on the assumption that the reason your existing PCI card prevents your system from booting is that the card has (at least partially) failed in some odd way.
          sigpic
          "Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all."
          -- Douglas Adams

Comment

Why not just use software raid and ignore the motherboard raid option?

Motherboards only tend to have fake raid in them anyway (a software raid with limited hardware support so you can boot off it and do all work on the cpu anyway). So there is little different in using the on board raid and pure Linux software raid with the added benefit of your bios not conflicting with other devices .

You could also get a dedicated (real) raid card, but they are quite expensive and it might be worth looking into software raid first as it will cost you nothing but a little bit of time.

Comment

Working...
            X