This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia driver for GeForce4 440 Go?

I have installed Kubuntu 12.04 Beta 1 32 bit on an ancient Dell C840 laptop with the Nvidia GeForce4 440 Go video card. The machine works, but the application windows show the title bar offset to the right of the window, and no min/max/close buttons. The same distro works fine on another desktop machine I have.

I want to try the Nvidia 96 series driver (which appears to the the one needed for this old card), but it is not offered in the restricted drivers applet.

How can I install this driver manually?

Frank.
    Linux: Powerful, open, elegant. Its all I use.

I dunno, but if a "thing" is "offset" because of a card or a driver one would think that "other" "things" would be offset also. Does this happen with all applications, from say a wordprocessor to Amarok?

However, given that it is a driver issue tou could try using the ppas for it. If you have not done ppas, come back and inquire.

But, I'd think that the driver that you have is probably the best one might get.

woodsmoke

Comment

Woodsmoke:

Yeah, in all applications. Picture attached.

Just found out something interesting, however. I exited x and went to the console to try installing the Nvidia driver (which won't install with X running). While at the console, I did 'startx', and, of course, I got the familiar GUI. However, the windows are all correct now. No offsets. I cannot use the desktop cube animation using 'startx' either, though it works (slowly) with the default video driver.

Any ideas?

This was posted from the C840 so I could take the screenshot and attach it.

Frank.

(I can't seem to get a bigger picture of this uploaded to the forum.)
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Frank616; Mar 08, 2012, 09:52 PM. Reason: Trying to attach bigger picture

Comment

You are way beyond my poor capabilities, but it is a curious situation and someone else will have to chime in.

However, since it is such an unusual problem, could you go to the original post and modify it and "go advanced" and put some tags on it, like

title, bar, offset,

you have a maximum of 5 tags available.

This is a pretty problem and I think probably somebody will be by to help soon.

woodsmoke

Comment

Woodsmoke:

I don't see where to add the tags - even in the advanced editor. Still not used to this new forum software....

I don't see how to attach a full-size picture either. I can only get the thumbnail to post.

Frank.

Comment

Hi
            well, one has to remember that the old woodsmoker is...old...

I just went through the process to a thread that I originated and one cannot put tags onto a "previous" post, I guess, only on the new post as it is being made.

So..... as Emily Latella Latalla said so often....."never mind!"

But, again, I'm sure that someone knowledgable about this will be by. Otherwise in the nonce you can try the ppas.

woodsmoke

Comment

try changing the window Decorations, (System Settings-> Workspace apperance-> window decorations). i had a similar issue here w/ our geforce 440go. if the decoration does not fix the issue you might also want to try playing with the settings of the desktop effects in the advanced tab.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

sithlord:

Well, that did change things, but didn't resolve them. The title bar is still mis-aligned, just differently.

Anyway, not a big issue at this point. I'll wait for the full version to roll out before I get serious about tracking down the problem. It is an old machine anyway, and it doesn't HAVE to work. I'm not using it for much of anything at the moment anyway (though it pains be to dump it because it is such a well made machine).

Frank.

Comment

Working...
                X