This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oversized LiveCD .iso -- still?

Geez. They say it's a bug. What? It can't (or won't) be fixed? I could download and install to a USB Flash Drive, but I'd like to use a LiveCD.

Warning: This image is oversized (which is a bug) and will not fit onto a standard 700MiB CD. However, you may still test it using a DVD, a USB drive, or a virtual machine.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Don't they usually shrink them to fit just before they go Gold?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Oh, I'm sure that when it is 'officially' released in April, that the LiveCD .iso will fit on a standard CD. But why can't they fix the issue now!?

Anyway, I'm downloading the latest daily build .iso and will create a LiveUSB so I can test Precise Pangolin out.

Comment

I think Ubuntu has raised the LiveCD iso size to 750.
        http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/u...e-to-be-750mb/

Im guessing that it will be the same for Kubuntu. Guess we should start calling them LiveDVDs...

Comment

From everything that I've read (and some of you who have been around a while know this battle has raged for at least a few release cycles now) the days of Live CD's are likely gone. FWIW, one can find DVD Drives on sale from Newegg and Tiger Direct et all for around $15. Blank DVD's are in some cases cheaper now than blank CD's. Is this really an issue in 2012?

Not trying to offend / troll. Just curious. I have a HP/Compaq laptop from 2005, and even it has a DVDRom.

Also note that one can always install the Ubuntu Minimal .iso from CD and add KDE packages of his or her own choosing, seemingly further invalidating the need for CD's except in rare usage cases where this both no DVDRom and no Broadband Internet. I don't think a community can design a whole OS around this one particular usage case, as in 2012 having neither is not very likely.
          Last edited by dequire; Feb 19, 2012, 08:16 PM.
          ​"Keep it between the ditches"
          K*Digest Blog
          K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

hehe. Yes, and my HP Pavilion g7 has a CD/DVD read/write drive as well. I have not yet purchased any read/writable DVDs -- have been using CDs -- so maybe it's time I went out and purchased some.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              hehe. Yes, and my HP Pavilion g7 has a CD/DVD read/write drive as well. I have not yet purchased any read/writable DVDs -- have been using CDs -- so maybe it's time I went out and purchased some.
              Welcome to 2012! I kid, I kid. Fortunately, k3B burns DVD's every bit as well as CD's, so there's really no downside.

As an aside, I personally do not use re-writeable media, as I have never had good luck with it. I just turn-and-burn and eventually have coasters after I'm done with the disc just like with CD's
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

The bug is adding new things or extras for testing, or not quite stripping out the usual bits required to get to the required size; the iso size does drop to usable once you get to the later stages.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  ...I have not yet purchased any read/writable DVDs -- have been using CDs -- so maybe it's time I went out and purchased some.
                  My Sony laptop stopped burning CD that could boot so I was forced to use DVDs. I chose rewritable DVDs so I could use them again when the distro on them cycled out.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

If they decide to go DVD-only, perhaps they could just include Firefox on the installation media, instead of a GUI-based installer. (Something tells me that's another contentious issue.)

Comment

Working...
                    X