X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current updates uninstall kde-workspace

Check before you upgrade

Unfortunately, I only noticed your warning after I had started the upgrade. I redid the update followed by dist-upgrade after the first one had finished as it was after 10:00pm NY time and I thought all the new packages would be in the repositories. After rebooting i got a blank screen after logging in. Is there any way to fix the system after this problem is resolved without doing a re-install?

Comment

You should be be able to start the computer in recover mode from the boot screen - that will get you a console prompt. Then reinstall kde-workspace with:
      Code:
      sudo apt-get update
      sudo apt-get install kde-workspace
      And reboot

Comment

Originally posted by blackpaw View Post
        You should be be able to start the computer in recover mode from the boot screen - that will get you a console prompt. Then reinstall kde-workspace with:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get install kde-workspace
        And reboot
        Thanks, I managed to find this and followed your instructions as I was using the wrong command syntax for dpkg to install kde-workspace. I have installed 12.04 on a Compaq Presario AIO CQ1-2011AN to replace my wife's computer. It was the only distribution that would work with this hardware. So far so good and the main problem that I had in the installation was that it would not work with a separate partition for / and /home. If I did this it would give a grub message:-
        error: invalid arch independant ELF magic

So I now have Precise using the entire disk after removing the Windows 7 partitions

Comment

Heh, /me too

Late last night I decided to do an upgrade and only when I saw it remove a whole lot of stuff I realised something went wrong. :shock:
          When it wouldn't start the desktop I logged in on the Konsole and reinstalled the kubuntu-desktop.

PS, I can't get Google Earth to reinstall, gdebi complains about missing ia32-libs.
          Last edited by Teunis; Feb 15, 2012, 04:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
            Heh, /me too
            PS, I can't get Google Earth to reinstall, gdebi complains about missing ia32-libs.
            I am also experiencing the same problem. When I use apt-get to install ia32-libs it complained about broken packages. So I did an install -f and this did not correct the problem. My console output is:
            Code:
            @home:~$ sudo apt-get install -f
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree       
            Reading state information... Done
            0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
            @home:~$ sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
            Reading package lists... Done
            Building dependency tree       
            Reading state information... Done
            Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
            requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
            distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
            or been moved out of Incoming.
            The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
             ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch
            E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Comment

The following packages have unmet dependencies: ia32-libs : Depends: ia32-libs-multiarch E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
              I had the same problem a couple weeks ago trying to install the ia32-libs.

I ended up using a Konsole and apt-get. IIRC, I would use
              apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch
              and then take note of which dependency that failed.
              I would then manually install that dependency using apt-get and then try ia32-libs-multiarch again.
              Repeat and rinse until it is installed, then install ia32-libs the same way.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                I had the same problem a couple weeks ago trying to install the ia32-libs.

I ended up using a Konsole and apt-get. IIRC, I would use
                apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch
                and then take note of which dependency that failed.
                I would then manually install that dependency using apt-get and then try ia32-libs-multiarch again.
                Repeat and rinse until it is installed, then install ia32-libs the same way.
                I tried that last night and was not able to get all the dependencies removed. I found that there was a truckload of i386 packages installed. I eventually got to the stage where the installation was going to remove my ATI video drivers and gave up at that point. What was most interesting was that at the end of this process, when I did an update and dist-upgrade, most of the i386 packages were removed. Today when I had more updates, some dependency problems needed to be fixed with the install -f option followed by dpkg --configure -a.

Unless I am missing some package options, I think that I will have to wait for the precise packages to allow i386 packages on a 64B system.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                  I tried that last night and was not able to get all the dependencies removed. I found that there was a truckload of i386 packages installed. I eventually got to the stage where the installation was going to remove my ATI video drivers and gave up at that point. What was most interesting was that at the end of this process, when I did an update and dist-upgrade, most of the i386 packages were removed. Today when I had more updates, some dependency problems needed to be fixed with the install -f option followed by dpkg --configure -a.

Unless I am missing some package options, I think that I will have to wait for the precise packages to allow i386 packages on a 64B system.
                  I've had the same problem, at first some week ago I installed loads of i386's and now recently most are to be removed. Apper and Muon choose some slightly different packages. CLI sudo apt-get -s upgrade and/or sudo apt-get -s dist-upgrade keep my system running so far *knock on wood*

/Jonas
                  ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
                  Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
                  Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
                  Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
                  - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
                  >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Since I did my initial install of the lib32 and multiarch libraries for my 64b install, everything was running well. A couple of days ago the update everyone is talking about appeared in my system tray. I clicked on the "additional installs" to see what was going to happen. Like everyone said, it was going to remove Google Earth, Skype and the lib32 libraries. I won't allow that, so I opened a Konsole and used apt-get to see what it would do. It was more agreeable so I have been using it to avoid destroying my 32 bit install. I have no doubt that sooner or later the 32bit problem will be re-solved and and resolved without destroying the KDE desktop or the lib32 libraries, but until then apt-get in the Konsole is how all further updates will arrive at this Precise install.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I saw the update Muon Update Manager gear icon appear in my system tray a few minutes a go and decided to open a Konsole and do the apt-get thing.
                      Seven apps were updated and about 18 were held back. None were removed.

The gear icon still stuck around so I opened it up. The usual popup dialog appeared, asking if I wanted to mark additional updates. I clicked "Install" to open it up and noticed that neither Google Earth, Skype or the lib32 files were listed for removal. (Only one time did the list offer to remove KDE itself) And, nothing on the list matched was apt-get showed as being ready for updating. I continued with the update and the gear went away.

It seems that the developers have withdrawn those pesky "removals" from the update sequence.

Comment

Working...
                      X