This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Precise and 32 bit apps.

When I tried to install deb packages of Skype and GoogleEarth I was blocked by the inability to install the ia32 libraries. The install called the ia32MultiArch:386 files, about 150 of them, but they could be installed because a popup msg said that libwinbind couldn't be installed.

Today, I decided to see if I could install libwinbind myself, and found out that when I installed only it the installation was successful. Then, I retried the ia32 package and it and the entire :386 chain installed without a problem. Then, when I tried Skype and GoogleEarth they both installed without a problem and ran perfectly. Joy!! 8)

So, as my ALPHA installation of Precise sets right now, everything I had installed and running on Lucid is running equally well on Precise, except UbuntuOne.

Only UbuntuOne is misbehaving, but it worked the same way on Lucid. Concerning the Cloud, when I installed DropBox I used what that website recommended, Nautilus. But, Nautilus tried to take over my sound, my video playing, my file management,,, just about everything. Nautilus was trying to be the entire desktop. DropBox worked well with Nautilus and the DropBox daemon, but I couldn't stand Nautilus, so I removed it when I found Kfilebox, which works PERFECTLY with DropBox and is easy to use and install. It's easier to use in the system tray than the UbuntuOne client is.

A couple days ago I installed SAGE 4.7.2 and the rest of my math, physics, chem, and astronomy software. So, three and one half months before Precise goes Gold it is running well for me with everything installed. Of course, a lot could happen with updates between now and then, but Kubuntu Precise on my Acer 7739 is running like a champ. I am a happy camper a lot sooner than I thought I'd be. 8)

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. SecondLife does not run with the new ia32 paradigm, but I don't use that any more except as a test of the video. Stellarium will be filling that role from now on.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I have not had any success installing Skype or GoogleEarth. I cannot find "libwinbind" on my system. Also, when I try to install "ia32-libs" most of the KDE applications would be removed including dolphin and kde-workspace. I remember encountering this problem before with 11.10, I think, but I am not sure how the problem was resolved. I am wondering what repositories you have as this could be the only reason for my problems.

Comment

when I installed DropBox I used what that website recommended, Nautilus
      No need to install nautilus, just nautilus-dropbox - already in the kubuntu repos and it pulls in very little other than dropbox and leaves your associations untouched.

nautilus-dropbox is the plugin for nautilus but it doesn't require nautilus.

Comment

After this morning's (18 Feb.) updates the ia32 problems seem over and Google Earth installs again.

Comment

Last night and today's updates want to remove 173 especially 368 packages and 'Embedded GNU Libraries'.
          The Muon updater now offers the option to only do available updates that don't require removals.

I've just picked that option and bide my time for the rest.

Comment

Working...
          X